Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member here, in the coastal Washington state area. Lots of big fish out here and I wanted to be official instead of lurking all the time. I will make anything and tie anything to help me catch that next big fish. 

Next chapter is making flippers, Smileys and whatever that other funky blade is on some kokanee gear. Gotta get ready for Puget Sound Chinook fishing soon.
(05-25-2024, 12:07 AM)fish_4_all Wrote: New member here, in the coastal Washington state area. Lots of big fish out here and I wanted to be official instead of lurking all the time. I will make anything and tie anything to help me catch that next big fish. 

Next chapter is making flippers, Smileys and whatever that other funky blade is on some kokanee gear. Gotta get ready for Puget Sound Chinook fishing soon.

Welcome to the site. Not a lot of traffic on our Washington board but you are more than welcome jump on the Utah board, if anything catches your attention. We have a few members that tie their own Kokanee gear, it would be interesting to see what you tie up.
I like to find ideas from other areas and apply them here. Too often fishers from a local area get stuck on the same ole go too's and have the same luck time every time. And I mean well they weren't biting today, or it was a west wind today or whatever typical reason for not catching fish. My favorite salmon lure is a modified Montana brown trout fly fish on drifting gear with a lift and drop retrieve. Applying some things I learn here will help me catch more fish in both fresh and salt water.
(05-25-2024, 09:36 PM)fish_4_all Wrote: I like to find ideas from other areas and apply them here. Too often fishers from a local area get stuck on the same ole go too's and have the same luck time every time. And I mean well they weren't biting today, or it was a west wind today or whatever typical reason for not catching fish. My favorite salmon lure is a modified Montana brown trout fly fish on drifting gear with a lift and drop retrieve. Applying some things I learn here will help me catch more fish in both fresh and salt water.

I see you found one of our top lure makers, most members that make their own lures, do so mainly by just buying parts and putting them together to make their squids or spinners for the kokanee.
I use the same rigs for trout, salmon, steelhead, sea bass and whatever else will bite them. My wifes Cricut makes blade stickers soooo much easier!
(05-27-2024, 04:25 PM)fish_4_all Wrote: I use the same rigs for trout, salmon, steelhead, sea bass and whatever else will bite them. My wifes Cricut makes blade stickers soooo much easier!

You put stickers on your blades? What are your favorite patterns?
Fish scale patterns, mirage, yellow smi.ley faces work for trout, blue with purple glitter for steelhead.
Most of them are the lure tape that is on all the wicked lures, have used that stuff for decades. My granddaughter calls them stickers so I go with it. If she picks a sticker, I'll fish it at least once. She is 4/5 for big fish picks. She picked the smil.ey face for trout and got a 4# holdover on it.
(05-28-2024, 04:16 AM)fish_4_all Wrote: Fish scale patterns, mirage, yellow smi.ley faces work for trout, blue with purple glitter for steelhead.
Most of them are the lure tape that is on all the wicked lures, have used that stuff for decades. My granddaughter calls them stickers so I go with it. If she picks a sticker, I'll fish it at least once. She is 4/5 for big fish picks. She picked the smil.ey face for trout and got a 4# holdover on it.

Wow, a 4 lb holdover is a great fish, how long was it? Was it a rainbow?
They plant big trout here so a 4# holdover isn't that unusual. About 1000 trout over 3 pounds were planted the year before in the lake I caught it in.