Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirror Mirror
I took a quick road trip this afternoon on the Mirror Lake highway just to see the opening conditions. Took a side trip on the dirt road to Alexander Lake. Quite a few people camped and fishing there. One father/son group said they had caught 2 brookies on worms. I didn't fish, was just there for a 'look see'. On up the road Lilly and Lost were starting to ice off, quite a few more people there fishing. Over the top was snowed in but the road was clear. Mirror was still iced, but it looked pretty rotten. Pass was about the same as Lilly and Lost. The lower Uinta lakes will be accessible soon.
(06-10-2024, 12:07 AM)brookie Wrote: I took a quick road trip this afternoon on the Mirror Lake highway just to see the opening conditions. Took a side trip on the dirt road to Alexander Lake. Quite a few people camped and fishing there. One father/son group said they had caught 2 brookies on worms. I didn't fish, was just there for a 'look see'. On up the road Lilly and Lost were starting to ice off, quite a few more people there fishing. Over the top was snowed in but the road was clear. Mirror was still iced, but it looked pretty rotten. Pass was about the same as Lilly and Lost. The lower Uinta lakes will be accessible soon.

Sounds like a great road trip and a great way of getting out of the heat of the day. Did you happen to notice what the water temp was, way up on top?
(06-10-2024, 04:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 12:07 AM)brookie Wrote: I took a quick road trip this afternoon on the Mirror Lake highway just to see the opening conditions. Took a side trip on the dirt road to Alexander Lake. Quite a few people camped and fishing there. One father/son group said they had caught 2 brookies on worms. I didn't fish, was just there for a 'look see'. On up the road Lilly and Lost were starting to ice off, quite a few more people there fishing. Over the top was snowed in but the road was clear. Mirror was still iced, but it looked pretty rotten. Pass was about the same as Lilly and Lost. The lower Uinta lakes will be accessible soon.

Sounds like a great road trip and a great way of getting out of the heat of the day. Did you happen to notice what the water temp was, way up on top?

You might mean the air temp - about 68*, it rained on and off much of the afternoon, even so was very comfortable in shorts and tee shirt. Didn't actually get out on the water, but the lakes up on top (Mirror, Moosehorn) were still frozen with the ones just a little lower (Lilly, Lost, Pass) still partially frozen, so my guess was the water temp was still pretty close to 32*.

Yeah it was a great trip out of the heat, only one snafu, when I hiked the short way over to Alexander, I slipped in the mud and did the splits and tweaked my back. At 68 I am too old to do the splits, sign me up for the golden girls cheer team. I was on anti-inflammatories all night and was too sore to try Jordanelle this morning. I am finally walking a little better now so hope to get back out tomorrow. Dang it's heck to get old.
(06-10-2024, 07:04 PM)brookie Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 04:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

You might mean the air temp - about 68*, it rained on and off much of the afternoon, even so was very comfortable in shorts and tee shirt. Didn't actually get out on the water, but the lakes up on top (Mirror, Moosehorn) were still frozen with the ones just a little lower (Lilly, Lost, Pass) still partially frozen, so my guess was the water temp was still pretty close to 32*.

Yeah it was a great trip out of the heat, only one snafu, when I hiked the short way over to Alexander, I slipped in the mud and did the splits and tweaked my back. At 68 I am too old to do the splits, sign me up for the golden girls cheer team. I was on anti-inflammatories all night and was too sore to try Jordanelle this morning. I am finally walking a little better now so hope to get back out tomorrow. Dang it's heck to get old.

LOL, yea, should have been air temp.  Sorry to hear about the slip and fall, I'm your same age and know exactly what you mean about those aches and pains.