Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06/08 Trial Lake
With the Mirror Lake highway opening up this weekend, I decided to head to the high country and get out of the heat. My plan was to fish around the Trial Lake area, however, the road wasn't plowed past the Trial Lake dam, so no access to the Crystal Lake trailhead and placed nearby. So, I pulled off there, loaded up the gear, put on the knee-high boots, and walked through snow, water, and up and over the dam. I was surprised that the lake was still 85%+ iced over. The edges were clearing, but there was fresh skim ice on the dam end, but the corner was open, so I set up. Fishing wasn't on fire, but I had steady luck. Quite a few people fishing but not a ton of catching, although I was mostly paying attention to my own line. Fish weren't cruising the shoreline and the fish I caught seemed to be 20 feet or more offshore and down deeper. About 80% rainbows, 20% tigers. The bows had their colors on. I would imagine the ice will be rapidly retreating and the fishing will just keep getting better.

[Image: PXL-20240608-133615978.jpg]

[Image: PXL-20240608-141703179.jpg]
Nicely done...great place for a weekend get away, especially during a hot spell..when things open up, float tube fishing was my most exciting all over the Uintas...Pyramid, Trial, Pass, Moosehorn, Butterfly, Echo, Teapot, and many others...can't go wrong exploring these jewels of our Uinta Mountains...Guluk...
Sounds like a really fun experience... Thanks for sharing that trip with us.... Seems like it's hard to keep in touch with how far behind the seasons are in the high country when it's getting so toasty in the low lands.... Thanks again... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!