Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 6/15 - 5 species day
I fished several spots around Provo Harbor. First I started along the north jetty, lake side. It was here on Wednesday evening I had caught over 70 small white bass. I figured I would catch some on Saturday for catfish bait. Nothing, so moved over to one of the docks. Nothing with white bass. I did catch a carp by dragging my small white curly tail jig tipped with a gob of nightcrawler into a carp love nest, where about 8 carp were together with mouths at the surface. On the second attempt a carp took it and the fight was on. After fighting it onto submission, I drug it near the dock. My net was in the car, so tried lipping it. My thumb in its mouth revived it and it splashed back in the water and threw my hook in the process. Species #1. 

From there I moved over to the river (technically the lake since the water is so high). After numerous casts, I finally hooked into a larger white bass. Species #2. A couple of casts later, I caught a black crappie. Species #3. 

In addition to my small white curly tail jig, I put out a slip bobber with a plain white jig tipped with a bit of nightcrawler. Ultimately caught several mudcats on this rig. Species #4. 

I moved upstream a little, still on an area of stagnant water, and tried both rigs. Hooked up with another mudcat. Then finally caught species # 5, a bluegill.

A real mixed bag kind of day. Invited several fish home for fish tacos. Never did get around to fishing for channel cats. 

[Image: 9461505-C-04-B3-4-C50-94-C5-3705-A2-EA66-FA.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Looks like a really fun day.  That's a pretty nice white bass!
Hey Brett, thanks for the report and pictures! Sorry the carp didn't stay for a mug shot. Those little whites seem to move around just like the big ones. Here today and gone tomorrow. I was out Saturday morning and we didn't find any in/around the harbor. We got 4 littles while fishing for cats on the west side.

The cats were in big groups. Lots of fish and sometimes 4 on at a time. Then we would go for a while before we found another group. So if you were in them it was great and if not it was dead. Location, location, location!
Who would a thought that you caught 5 differnt species and one was not a channel
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Interesting report joatmon. It is always fun to get an unexpected mixed bag. It does seem like there should have been a cat in there somewhere.
I was out Saturday a.m. with g-son (CatRat) and we caught some good cats at the first spring -- anchored in about 10 fow. G-son caught one at about 29 inches that he should have entered in contest soon. 

As Jim noted, those small white bass are hard to figure out. Today they were definitely "in" big time... every other cast with a small spinner or curly tail. I caught about 50+ 4-5 inch whities -- perfect snack size for cats. I fished from shore near South Goose Point for a couple of hours and caught six cats... all toofooters. Still looking for those 30 plusers to start showing up. Soon.
Fun - fun -fun.  Utah Lake has a lot of species and it is not unusual to have a multi-species day.  I have had sixers a couple of times...with different species represented.  Of course, most common are the white bass and catfish.  But as you well know, there are lots of crappies and perch too.  Carp are always there.  Ditto for bullheads.  Less commonly caught by most anglers are walleyes and northern pike.  For those in the know, largemouth bass are a potential species.  There have even been a few "downstream" smallies from Deer Creek that showed up in UL.  And, as strange as it may seem, there have been rainbow trout, brown trout and even a cutt or two taken from "Golden Pond".  But if you catch a "Junie" (June sucker) you'd best not brag on it.  Release it quickly and don't let DWR know you caught it.