Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wax your ice sleds
I just finished waxing my two ice sleds.  Much easier to wax them when the sleds are 90 to 100 degrees than when they are cold in the late fall or earlier winter.
How do you keep the wax from running off on a day like today?  Big Grin
(07-10-2024, 08:29 PM)Kent Wrote: I just finished waxing my two ice sleds.  Much easier to wax them when the sleds are 90 to 100 degrees than when they are cold in the late fall or earlier winter.
OR - get a snowdog to pull them and don't worry about it.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-10-2024, 08:29 PM)Kent Wrote: I just finished waxing my two ice sleds.  Much easier to wax them when the sleds are 90 to 100 degrees than when they are cold in the late fall or earlier winter.

I thought you weren't as gung ho for ice fishing as you used to be?  Ice fishing is the last thing on my mind today.  

I agree with the other poster though.  Does the heated wax even stay on the sled at these temps?
BUT...too early to buy wax worms.
(07-10-2024, 08:44 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: How do you keep the wax from running off on a day like today?  Big Grin

I am hopeful that enough sticks to the skis, that it helps.  I spent just a few minutes doing it, so that isn't a concern and the block of paraffin wax, that I have, will last long beyond my lifetime, so that also isn't a concern.

(07-10-2024, 09:33 PM)doggonefishin Wrote:

I thought you weren't as gung ho for ice fishing as you used to be?  Ice fishing is the last thing on my mind today.  

As I have gotten older, I'm not as "gung ho" about ice fishing as I once was, but I still go.

(07-10-2024, 09:14 PM)dubob Wrote:
OR - get a snowdog to pull them and don't worry about it.  ???

That would only create new challenges (Where to store it and how to get it to the ice?) and a lot of expenses.
(07-10-2024, 10:38 PM)Kent Wrote:
(07-10-2024, 09:14 PM)dubob Wrote: OR - get a snowdog to pull them and don't worry about it.   Big Grin
That would only create new challenges (Where to store it and how to get it to the ice?) and a lot of expenses.
Kent, at our ages, we need all the help we can get.  To heck with the expenses - you earned the money; you should be the one to spend and enjoy it.   Wink Big Grin

Tight lines always.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-11-2024, 03:40 AM)dubob Wrote:
(07-10-2024, 10:38 PM)Kent Wrote:
(07-10-2024, 09:14 PM)dubob Wrote: OR - get a snowdog to pull them and don't worry about it.   Big Grin
Kent, at our ages, we need all the help we can get.  To heck with the expenses - you earned the money; you should be the one to spend and enjoy it.   Wink Big Grin

Tight lines always.

Bob, I agree with your sentiment.  I have owned a snowmobile and a snowkitty (my name for a homemade Snowdog), and I have decided it wasn't worth the hassle.  Perhaps, if I had a place to store one, and a small trailer, I would have a different attitude.