Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River.....
I am JUst curious.... do any of you guys fish the bear river bird refuge? i am out there like 7times a month and i was just curious if anyone else fishes the area from this board..

Also have any of you guys caught any channels out at the"refuge" bigger than 5lbs? if so what area were you fishing the refuge. some poeple i have talked to have said that there are monster cats out there, i just want to know if any of you guys have ever cuaght a monster..

JOe
[signature]
I fished there last year once and caught a lot of little ones but nothing big however I've also heard stories of large channel cats out there so me and my bro are going to try it a little more this year.
[signature]
I fished it once as a kid, but haven't been out there since. I'm not very familiar with it, so I don't go there. I'd like to fish there and cutler, but have no idea where I could access it. Is it floatable in a pontoon?
[signature]
I take my foat tube out there all of the time and park up river and drift with the wind,. then i get out, walk up and drift agaain

when you get out to the end there are places that say public fishing area. that is where you can laulnch your canoe, boat,float tube, or pontoon. there is also a boat ramp out at the end near the dam.

and cutler is simple... just launch your flaotatoin device off of any of the major highways. most have boat ramps.

JOe
[signature]
Sweet. Any particular baits or tactics? It's pretty shallow isn't it? I'm guessing that the bugs can't be any worse than at Willard.
[signature]
I uslually use a bobber and a whole chub, i just cast about 3 feet off of the bank and whammo ... i have had 200 fish days out there, but the problem is that the majority of the cats are about 6-15inches with the occasional cat going to 3 or 4 lbs but most are under a pound.

JOe
[signature]
Still sounds like fun to me. I've been promising my wife some catfish and I haven't delivered yet. Is there much bank access? She'd probably want to go too.
[signature]
there isnt a ton of bank access but there is some.there is some right off of the road on the way out to the end that u can fish but those are the more popular spots.. those spots arent very good, you will catch fish but not in huge quantitys. the best spots, are the ones no one fishes that is why i take my canoe out there so that i can move around( to find fish) the best spots are the ones with a steep rocky/ timber side with the opposite side shallow with reeds. the steep side is wheere i drift my bait. right now the carp bite is awsome. just find a shallow flat area and toss out a worm or some dough and wham! they are on the side that has thee reeds the river is weird like that. if one side has reeds then the other doesnt. Kinda eerie.

JOe
[signature]
I might have to swing by there this weekend to check it out. Sounds like my kinda place. Thank you very much for the info.
[signature]