Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
staying warm in a tube this time of year?
In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannons fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon, but how to prevent them from rolling about the deck? The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be
stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem... how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding or rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate called a "Monkey" with 16 round indentations. But, if this plate were made of iron, the ironballs would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make "Brass Monkeys." Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannonballs would come right off the monkey. Thus, it was quite literally, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." (And all this time, you thought that was an improper expression, didn't you?)

with that being said!! i took my tube out the other day to one of the farm ponds.. only the 2nd time being in the tube.. and to say that it was cold enuf to freeze the balls off a brass monkey is puting it lightly.. how do you guy's stay warm then the water is so cold?

dude on fish?
[signature]
There are pants made of fleece sold for tubers. They are warm and also wick moisture away from your body. I used to use sweats but they don't wick moisture. Next get "Smart Wool" socks in heavy for extra cold. This brand is a little pricey but worth the money. Now if you are using noeprene waders you are set. If you use light breathable waders you may still get cold. Also remember that much of your body heat escapes off of your head so wear a warm cap. Try to keep your hands as dry as possible. Take a towel and an extra pair of gloves to rotate with. Now when everything you have done doesn't keep you warm, get out of the water for a while so you don't get hypothermia. Once your core body temp drops, it is hard to get it back up. Use common sense and don't get too cold, and you will have a fun day on the water.
[signature]
[cool]10 minutes later ...... I'm still chuckling, but it's down enough that I can type.

I like extra heavy waders. 5mm or heavier. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it ($90-$120). I have not had the pleasure of trying out the newer "dry" waders, but have been told and believe myself that they would be the ultimate way to go in the cold short of a drysuit. The new waders that look like oversized rubber bibs, but are breathable. You can layer up under the waders with anything you want to keep you warm. Good ones seen to run pretty high in price, but are worth what you pay ($200 and up).
[signature]
I bought a pontoon kickboat.
[signature]
[cool]nice story ..... I've froze my cannon balls off before in the float tube I have since upgraded to a pontoon boat. They are 100xs Better than tubes.

jrs4x4
Great story!
A couple of recommendtions that will help.
1. 1 pair polypropaline and 1 pair of good wool socks
2. Polypropaline long underwear (They are the best thing out there for wicking moisture away from your body
3. polarfleece pants over the top of the long underwear
4. waders that fit correctly. I can stay warm in a 3 mil pair of neoprenes if they fit right. 5 mil is nice but only good for 1 season unless you like sauna rooms. When I say fit right I mean that they are plenty big to allow for lots of clothes under them without being tight. Especially in the foot area if using stockingfoot waders. If they are tight it restricts bloodflow. Tight fitting boots and tight fins do the same thing. Make sure your waders are completely dry inside from the last fishing adventure (I always dry out the inside first cause 3 day old sweat really is not pleasant). Also don't chance it with old or patched waders this time of year. Its just toooooo cold. My waders are too tight in the feet and so my toes always get cold. The rest of me does just fine. Just my 2 cents to help keep my cannon balls warm, dry, and rust free!
Bigcat
[signature]
I WEAR A PAIR OF THE FLEECE PANTS UNDER MY WADERS I DO HAVE 5MM NEO'S THOUGH. IF ITS REALLY CHILLY I TAKE A COUPLE OF THE HAND WARMER THINGS YOU SHAKE EM UP AND STRATEGICLY PLACE THEM IN A FEW SPOTS IN THE WADERS...I LIKE EM UNDER MY FEET, ON MY BUTT AND ONE IN THE FRONT I CAN MOVE AROUND TO MY TUMMY, CHEST, GROIN WHAEVER YOU NEED HEAT, ALSO I PUT ONE IN MY POCKET ON MY CHEST SO WHEN MY FINGERS GET CHILLY I SLIP EM IN THE POCKET AND WARM EM UP.....THEY GO FOR 8 HOURS AT A 103 TEMP AND TAKE ABOUT ANOTHER HOUR OR TWO TO COOL OFF. IF YOU HAVE THEM IN A ENCLOSED SPACE THEY LAST LONGER THAN IN THE OPEN TOO. THAT IS MY TRICK..I SIT IN MY TUBE WITH A WARM SMILE WHILE THE OTHER GUYS GET OUT OF THE WATER AND FREEZE THEIR FEET TO THE BANK...HA HA.

LATERS,
[signature]
I've never had much luck getting and keeping the hand warmers warm. I mostly rely on my own thermal power. It's warmer but doesn't smell as nice as the clean mountain air. One bonus it does give is it makes me more bouyant so I sit higher out of the water.
[signature]
THE ORIGINAL WARMERS NEEDED AIR TO REACT AND PRODUCE HEAT...THE NEW "TECHNOLOGY" IS THAT THEY DONT NEED AIR ANYMORE...HENCE YOU DONT HAVE TO SHAKE EM TO MIX WITH AIR...YOU JUST OPEN EM UP GIVE A RATTLE OR TWO AND STICK EM WHERE THE SUN DONT WARM...ANY PLACE YOU WANT EM. THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE OLD ONES, WHICH IF NO AIR WAS AROUND THEY WENT COLD....THE NEW KIND GO FOREVER. I PUT EM IN MY POCKETS HIKING IN THE WINTER...TO FIND A X-MAS TREE, AND THEY ARE WARM TILL WAAAAAYY AFTER I GET HOME AND AM TRYING TO STUFF THE GRISWOLD TREE INTO MY LIVING ROOM.LOL

LATERS,
[signature]