Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cleaning my boat with tomatoes????
Its aluminum, its got some oxidization on it. I want to clean it and get some of that famous aluminum "shine" back in it without harsh chemicals....is there any way to do this? I found some alum. cleaner but it had a strong acid in it, with 2 dogs, and a 5 year old running around all the time I dont want to use it....plus I dont want it in my driveway or the sewer...anyone have any tricks or tips on how to clean up aluminum...I heard ketchup works on lures that need a little shine..should I rub my boat down with tomatoes...the citric acid does something....LOL...I am kidding but may try it on a spot...just to see what happens...for the sake of science.

Laters,
[signature]
heres some stuff i found while wishin' i was fishin':

[font "Arial"][size 3]
Aluminum cleaner [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]I have a recipe for an aluminum cleaner here
that will remove tarnish and greasy residue.
To make 8oz of cleaner you will need the
following [/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 3]

8 tablespoons of cream of tarter
8 tablespoons of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
4 fl oz of white vinegar
4 tablespoons of soap flakes

Mix the cream of tartar and baking soda in a
medium sized bowl, add the vinegar and mix until
the mixture forms a soft paste. Add the soap
flakes and then transfer to a jar or bottle.
Label the container clearly.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]To use apply with a steel wool pad, then rinse
off with warm water. Store the mixture away from
children. It will keep for up to 2 years.
[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]More advice
Cleaning your aluminum on a regular basis does
not have to be difficult. Just use two
tablespoons of cream of tarter to a quart of
water - boil the water and then let it cool. Use
this mixture to polish your aluminum when it
looks a little dusty, keeping it clean and great
looking![/size][/font]

[url "http://www.tipking.com/cleaning/tip_433.shtml"][font "Arial"][size 3]http://www.tipking.com/cleaning/tip_433.shtml[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Arial"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3] [/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 3]Cleaning Aluminum [/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 3]
[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]Use mild a detergent and warm water when possible.
Alkalis, even baking soda, and especially stronger alkalis
discolor aluminum. If trying a stronger cleaner, pre-test
on a hidden place to be sure it cleans satisfactorily and
does not damage the aluminum. Always follow directions on
the product label for aluminum, EXACTLY.

Be cautious about using abrasive cleaners (scouring
powders, steel wool, abrasive polishes, etc.) as they may
permanently scratch aluminum; painted or anodized aluminum
surfaces will be permanently damaged. Do not clean
aluminum when it is too hot to touch, or if temperatures
go below 50 F.
[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod02/01500064.html"][font "Arial"][size 3]http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod02/01500064.html[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Arial"][size 3][/size][/font] [font "times new roman, times"][font "times new roman, times"] [/url][font "Arial"][size 3][#000000]Discolored Aluminum[/#000000] [/size][/font] [font "Arial"][#000000][size 3]Heat a solution of 1 tbsp vinegar per qt of water or 2 tsp cream of tartar per qt of water in each pan until discoloration disappears.[/size][/#000000][/font]

[url "http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cleaningsolutions.html"][font "Arial"][size 3]http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cleaningsolutions.html[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Arial"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]sm[/size][/font][/font][/font]
[signature]
Wow!! Thanks Southernman!! I will have to try that...

Laters,
[signature]
Hey, you'll have to let me know if you're able to get that old boat shining up like that. I never thought of cleaning the thing up.
[signature]
I CAN TELL!! LOL, No I am just kidding Addicted. I want/need to clean it up so I can apply that floor coating I mentioned to you when I picked it up. That and lay some marine carpet along the bottom of it to "quiet up" the ride and all. I am going to put carpet in the seats too, just for a little added comfort..I was hoping I could find a good 1960's shag for that....LOL. I need to clean the limit plate, I think I will try the ketchup trick on that....its only 2X4 inches, so it ought to work okay..It doesnt have to gleem, just be readable. I got some alumiweld to fix that bow, I dont know what the person that put that on was thinking...its steel to aluminum..they have a reaction with each other...and I hope since the alumiweld is a different metal than alum. it will "buffer" between the two so the reaction stops other wise I have to tear that thing off the front someday...or just wait till it kills the sluminum and it crumbles into the water....which I want to avoid adamantly. so I have been talking to the pros at some places..and I think after I get the good to meet state requirements, an oar, life jackets, and a air horn....I will be set to register it.

Laters,
[signature]
two other things you will need to make it legal are a throwable PFD (the square ones, make great butt pads) and some kind of bail bucket. On a boat that size, one of those plastic 44 oz. cups from the convenience store will probably work. Smile

Actually, I don't think a horn is required on a boat that size. I think they are only required if your boat is 16+ ft. long. I know I looked into it and never ended up getting one.

Oars are cheapest at WalMart. About $9/each I think.
[signature]
I knew a girl once that cleaned all the tarnish off her silver jewelry with hot sauce. The kind like tabasco or something like that. I seemed like it worked pretty good.
[signature]
Toothpaste works well on cleaning and polishing smaller items. I wouldn't try it on a boat unless someone else was buying the toothpast and maybe a couple of cold ones.
[signature]
Does minty fresh attract fish???LOL the hotsauce is the same as ketchup..its the tomatoe base of it with the acid, citric or what I dont know. I dont have to have a throwable...but I will have one. I will get a air horn...one of the cans, and orange life jackets, and an oar...I was gonna get a ice cream bucket and lable it "accordingly" I also am gonna make one of those pvc pipe, whizzer stiks, to use over the side...I just need to come up with a female attachment for it...since I am the only male in my home...LOL. which makes me think of my next post....

Laters,
[signature]
Aw heck BF,, just send yer honey down to Wal-marts for a couple cases of Tarnex. If that dont work and if nothing else, you'll have plenty of cleaner to use on all those pretty sparklies in her jewelry box, just before they somehow take wing and migrate to your tackle box..

Word to the wise tho' and speaking from experience. DO NOT at any cost allow her to look in your tackle box after their migration! If you do you'll find the darn things will constantly find their way right back to her jewelry box just like they have legs. I swear, scouts honor! Whats more, each time you put them back in your tackle box your ears may again start ringing for days and days on end. Hint tho', wearing ear muffs, it seems to help some. But I found the best cure is to take a much needed weekend alone at the lake!! Strangely tho',, I found those little sparklies dont want to migrate nearly as quickly from ones tackle box while alone at the lake. And if given enough time, a guys ears stop ringing.

Huh? HUH? Whatcha say? Did you say sumthin'? Yes I have my hearing aids in. Yep the volume is cranked up too. Yeppers, I just replaced the battery, ~~just barely 5 years ago~~. What do ya mean I never listen to's ya? Jeeez!
[signature]
LMAO colldfooter....I think the best way around ringing ears is to leave the rings in her jewelry box and just take one or two with you every time and then....put em back without her knowledge...but trust me if you knew what I paid for them sparklies you would not dare to get em wet....much less let some wreckless fish touch em...lol....she wont even wear em when we go out on the 28 foot boat for the weekend, "I dont wanna take any chances with my jewels" I laugh at her cause she takes chances with MY "JEWELS" all the time. she puts them on the line more than me...and I have a way of finding every line...she is the one that taught me. ha ha ha..

Tarnix, I never thought of like regular old silver ware/metal polish...hhmm thats alot cheaper than the stuff I have seen too...double hmmm.....

thanksalot

Laters,
[signature]