Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ice Spoon Colors
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]I'm just putting the hooks on a new batch of the "casting spoon" ice jigs I have started making. Thought I would share some of the color combos I have come up with, and see if anyone had any good ideas for other colors that have worked well for them in the past[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those two on the bottom right look like absolute winners. What size are they?
[signature]
They look fantastic! Better market those bad boys!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Oh, ya like my little "perch urchins"? Those babies have taken a lot of trout, perch, walleyes and other fishies over the years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a pic with the sizes of the 4 different cavities in the mold I have. You can actually get molds for those up to about 4 ounces. The biggest I make are 1 oz.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I could definitely see some use for the "perch urchins" in the 1 oz and the 1/4 oz. What do you want in trade?
[signature]
[cool]Those look awesome, TD!! The only other colors/combos I can think of right now would be white with black dots, and maybe one that is a rainbow trout color.
[signature]
Pat they all look great!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well, let's see. How about world peace and an end to hunger?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Shoot me a PM and we can negotiate. I do not sell my stuff but I love a good horse trade. Whatcha got?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, O4T, there ain't many colors I have not played with. I have attached pics of some spotted stuff...black on both white and chartreuse. I have also attached a couple of pics that show some of the rainbow patterns I have played with. I could not get a good true color shot of the small ones, since I used the highly reflective new metallic paints. Believe me, when you see them up close and personal, you will like the way they come out. The back is blue & green metallic. The rainbow is candy pink metallic, with black spots. The lower portion is a mix of metallic chartreuse and silver. I plan to try them on Yuba on my next trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have several other different "rainbow" formulas I want to try, on several different kinds of spinners, spoons and jigs. So many colors, so many fish, so little time.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Wow! Those also look awesome, TubeDude!! You 'da man. We don't call you "the infamous one" for nothing, ya know!

You know, you really could make a heck of an income doing this on the side, Pat! I guess that would be a lot of paperwork headaches though to keep it all strait with the I.R.S. (internal ripoff service). Oh well, it's good for those of us that know you, 'cause you are so generous with your vast knowledge to pass it on down to those of us willing to learn!

Those are some killer trout/salmon lures you got there, but I bet some of them would also work for the Tiger Muskies up at Pineview. Especially the perchie lookin ones, and if you did some in a clown color!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks fer yer support. Glad ya like the goodies. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have done some clown ("wonderbread") paint jobs on my large roadrunner jigs, for macks and other bigguns. I plan to add some to my ice jig line. I also plan to make up some "fire tiger" patterns. They are close to the perch pattern. That combo of green, yellow and orange, with black bars, is a killer for many species. It is especially good in cold and/or murky water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have several other spot patterns in mind. For some reason, trout are especially attracted to spotted lures. Maybe something to do with a cannibalistic side of them that attracts them to eating their own kind. I personally believe that it is just another example of CONTRAST attraction. Spots make a lure more visible, and therefore more easily seen and pursued by predatory fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Helin company, makers of the Flatfish lures (among others) have been making a variety of spotted lure patterns for years. Their legendary lures have been the secret weapons for countless troutaholics over decades of use. The combos they originated (in many cases) have been imitated by lots of other lure makers, both private and commercial. I'm sure there are a few BFTers who have a good collection of flatfish in their tackle boxes. I am also sure that some of them have wished they could find the same colors on other lures.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those are really looking good TubeDude!

The only suggestion I can think of would be to try a solid black color. I've met a couple of guys that swear by black colored lures. They claim that black is actually easier to see from below. Allegedly the the way the light does not reflect off of the lure makes the outline more crisp, and the fish more readily comes up from down low to take a peek. Now I've never tested this theory, so I cannot speak from experience. But it might be worth a try. Very nice work!
[signature]
[cool]I hear ya, about those lures with spots. I grew up fishing Pyramid Lake in Northern Nevada for the famous Lahontan Cutthroats, and the lures of choice on that lake (which is lures and flys only) was the "Tor-P-Do" spoon made by Blue Fox. Sadly, they are no longer made by them, but there's other companies that still make that kind of spoon. Most of these spoons had spots on them in one form or another and were killer at Pyramid, as well as flat fish and Kwik Fish, so I know exactly what you were refering to, Pat. [Wink] I am going to torture my wife and child and make them go to Fallon Nevada, so you won't be hearing much from me for a few days. (And maybe not at all if my wife kills me after being cooped up with the in-laws.)
[signature]
[cool]Sorry about that last dumb paragraph. I leave the computer for 1 minute in the middle of my post, and the wife hijacks it and posts something goofy!

Yes I'm dragging her to Nevada for T-Day, and she's not too thrilled about that as you can tell. She's going to be kicking like hell the whole way there.

Won't have time to fish Pyramid unfortunately, but I get to hit Hunington on Sat.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Basic black is good. I use it a lot, and make quite a few jigs and baitbugs using black. I have not yet tried black with the ice jigs, except for making some big ones with chartreuse spots and chartreuse prism tape.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The reason black works good in stained water or low light conditions, as you suggest, is that it reflects no light. I makes a visible silhouette. That's why bass guys love it for night fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I make a lot of jig heads with all black, black with a white eye, black with a chartreuse eye, and YES, black with a hot red eye. Red and black are a good combo.[/#0000ff]
[signature]