Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I think I bought too small of an ice shelter
I built my ice shelter that claimed it was a 2 man and i dont see how I can fit two in this thing with tackle, 2 ice poles, heater, and an auger. It's the 2 man Clam.

Can anyone suggest one around the same cost that is bigger? I am returning mine this week so I can purchase a bigger one for the weekend.
[signature]
I picked up a Frabill venture last year for $179. It's a "3 man" shelter, and technically, you can fit 3 people in there, but I think you'd want to pick your company very carefully. If you put your gear in a 5 gallon bucket, and leave the auger outside, that'll save some room. I use a lantern for heat and light.
[signature]
Will look into that one, do you know where these are carried locally?
[signature]
I got mine at Uinta Sports, I think. It used to be angler's inn in riverdale. Not sure what they are now. I think Sportsman's has it. You can check it out at [url "http://www.frabill.com"]www.frabill.com[/url] to see if it'll fit your needs. I noticed that walmart had a few of some sort, but I didn't notice a brand and I didn't see a price.

Also, James carries some shelters, but you'd have to check with him about prices and selection.
[signature]
I was in Sportsmans last night and they have that exact 3 man frabril tent that your talking about, for $179.00 They had a few different selections to chose from with different price ranges. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Excellent! I will be going there to purchase the new one since they are close and the prices are pretty competetive.

cheers!
[signature]
[Smile] just got home from sportsmans they have a 2 man traveler for 159 not bad bot room wise kinda smallthey have a grand for 419 and only fits3 men....
[signature]
Well the new iceshack is on the way - My work gave me a $200 gift cert. for Cabelas and I thought I will go after the night walleye bite at Deer Creek - So I purchased the Yukon from the Clam Corporation

[url "http://www.the-clam.com/home.html"]http://www.the-clam.com/home.html[/url]

I will have to admit that I have never had a premium ice shelter before and I look forward to braving the cold with this new accessory.

Hope to see you on the water and hooking that 30" eye....
[signature]
Also remember that you will be pulling the shed all over the place. Get one that pulls easy and will hold your gear. Also how will it fit in your car, van or truck. Some shelters don't have a plastic floor so you will need a sled to haul them. The 3 man frabill fits all of my needs.
[signature]
Thats like buying a 2-man tent and thinking your going to get two men in it. It doesn't happen unless they are on top of each other.
we'll leave that one alone, might get Mike upset. Al
[signature]
heh, well, thats one of the reasons this one is too small, i dont wanna be that close to anyone that doesn't sport a nick rack. Wink

I am aiming for a 3-4 man. Fits 2 without getting in "my personal space". Smile
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]I don't[/black][black] know what you paid but I won't buy anything less than a 3 man shelter. I'm like you. I want some elbow room. Sitting check to check is not my idea of a two man shelter. I have the Eskimo Quickflip III and it rocks. It is perfect for two and ALL the gear and it folds up quickly for transport.[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Transport? Ya, transport. I pulled it by hand on one trip and that was one trip too many. If I can't take the snowmobile then it stays home. I've got the hitch and cover for it and I wouldn't trade my quckflip for any other shelter. Remember, bigger is heavier and when theres a foot or more of snow on the ice you'll know it. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Room costs plenty. The quickfilp III is a bit pricer than the standard two man shelters. I paid a little over $350 for mine but the price seems to have gone up on them checking on a few web sites.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Talk to Predator. He works at Sportsman's on Riverdale. He can give you some suggestions and a basic price estimate.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I'll second that! I helped BLM push his 3-man castle up out of Rockport last year after Petty pulled up lame after one of his famous ice dances! My son pulled Petty up the hill and I helped BLM with his shelter. I not sure who weighs more Petty or the Castle!

I have a Quickflip II I really enjoy it. It is a bit small, but works well for my son and I. Travels well. I have pulled it all over last year. Quick up and down.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip, I think I am getting one of the Frabil ones. Will decide friday. I just need to see if it will fit in my car once collapsed.

Not having an SUV stinks!
[signature]
I have to put mine in between the middle seats in my van. Yes, I have a minivan, and yes, not having an suv sucks. [Sad]
[signature]
I guess I will be finding a way to mount this puppy to my roof like i did with my pontoon. Man the top of my car looks like it got in a fight with about 2000 cats.
[signature]
Just goes with the territory. I've got lots of scratches on top o the Windstar.
[signature]