Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Ice Conditions
I was just wondering what you guys think. I just read the tempeture's for Scofield and it has not been below freezing for 2 DAY'S! now temp's around 31-37 even at night! I had My wheeler's out there last Sat. what do you think about this Sat. should I leave them home? the edge's are probly soft don't you think?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'd take the wheelers and make the call at the lake. Won't hurt them to sit on the trailer if the conditions have deteriorated. You know you'll be bummed out if you don't take them and you could of used them.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Where are you getting your temperature readings? I just checked weather.com and it told me the temperature was 27 right now. It also said the temperature is from Price Utah. I was just wondering if the temperature you are being told is from Price or another close city instead of Scofield itself. Just a thought. As long as I can walk out on the ice this weekend I will be happy.
[signature]
Here's the link to the conditions at Scofield. http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/m...?stn=SFDU1
So, yes it has been at least 2 days without freezing temperatures AT Scofield.

It takes more than a couple of days to make the ice go bad. If it only had a skiff of ice before we got the warmer temps it might turn things around. But where it was already 6 or 8 inches, it won't be melting very soon.

Fishrmn
Thanks for the site info, good stuff.
[signature]
[cool]You'll be fine, jigg-n-it. Like BLM said, you'll be sorry if you don't take them up there and could've used them. There is between 7-8 inches of ice up there. Worst case scenario right now would be maybe some slush on top of the ice, and MAYBE (but probably not) soft edges, but I doubt it. Snow is pretty good insulation, and I'm sure it's snowed a boatload up there this week on top of the ice.

Actually, on 2nd thought, maybe you should stay home tomorrow, 'cause that's the day I'm heading up, and I want more fish for me!![Tongue]
[signature]
Out4Trout,

I have been wondering about the same thing as Jigg-in-it, what with the warmer weather. Doggonefishin, my son, and I will be at Scofield tomorrow. KSL weather says 20s at night and 40s tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of BFT'ers up there. We will be starting out by the dam, and move around as the day progresses. Do you think it's time to use the power auger?

kastmaster
[signature]
When it comes to the wheeler and ice fishing its like the power auger during ice season, I dont leave home without it if I can help it. If your worried about a soft edge simply grab a couple planks to bridge to harder ice.
[signature]
[cool]Kastmaster, I think you'll be in great shape for the 4-wheeler unless the snow is too deep. I don't know how much is up there, but I'm sure there is at least a foot of new stuff if not more. I'm going to send you a p.m. of where we'll be, but suffice it to say, it's not going to be too far from where you are starting out. Good luck, and we'll see ya up there. We'll have our radios on channel 12. Good luck!!
[signature]
[cool]Woops, I forgot to answer the power auger question. The ice should be between 6-8 inches. I'm taking my hand auger 'cause I don't have a power one. If you are the type of person that likes to drill 20 holes throughout the day and constantly move, then you'll wanna take it.
[signature]
We were up there today, you'll be fine with your ATV. It was very warm but there were a lot of people on the ice with ATV's. We drove down to the lake by the shacks and had no problem although there was 3 to 6 inches of melting snow and the shoreline is wet. WH2
[signature]
[cool]Hey wiperhunter2, how was the fishin? Anything over 20 inches?
[signature]
A 20 incher would have been great but no such luck, a 16 incher was the biggest fish today. We only caught 12 between the three of us. We did not get there until 11am and left at 4pm. One of the guys we talked to when we arrived said the best catching was before 10am.
[signature]