Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Building
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Don, if you are a good "web surfer", there are lots of good rodbuilding sites, including modhole.com, which I am sure you have visited. In checking my "archives" of saved links, I rediscovered one that I wanted to spend some time with myself. Tons of good info: [url "http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2"]ROD SITES[/url].[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't know of any specific places you can go for a complete dissertation on the differences between actions, weights, etc. Most of what I THINK I know has been picked up over the years by reading and experimentation. You and I both know that a lot of it is SUBJECTIVE...a matter of personal opinion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I like slow action only in some fly rods, and in trolling and crankbait rods. The slow action tends to allow the fish more time to turn with the lure before it comes tight and pulls the hook away. Most of the rods I build for jigging and especially for casting light lures have fast tips. They cast better and more accurately, as long as you use the right wrist action. But, if you are a lob caster, you should have a medium or slow action rod.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the big negative factors in having a slow action rod, especially when fishing bigger fish, is not having enough "lift". You need to move the fish to get them subdued as quickly as possible, to avoid stressing those you wish to release. Fighting a big fish too long causes a buildup of lactic acid in the tissues, and even though it may swim off when you unhook it, the stress can cause it to belly up later. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's the sum total of what I can remember. And, with advancing age, the remembery part gets shakier all the time. At least I think it does. Can't remember.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a few pics of some of my wrap jobs. I used to do the fancy diamond wraps and all that. Made for something to look at while the fish weren't biting, but didn't help me catch any more fish. These days I go more for the quick N easy. Although, I have started playing with using some glitter in my finishes, like I do on a lot of jigs. Helps cover up the loose ends and other botched wrap jobs.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Pat-

That's a helpful site. And your wrap jobs are really nice!!
[signature]
Heck Tuber, I was feeling sorry for you for breaking a couple reels at Pelican. Obviously It didn't impact your ability to go fishing.

Yakfishaholic, Kayote
[signature]
I used to be a huge Fenwick fan. I'm 36 years old, and I can remember using Fenwick 6' 6" light- to medium-action rods all through my twenties and early thirties. However, last year I purchased two new Fenwick Eagle 7' rods, and both of them snapped in two in the very same location, a couple of inches up from the cork, on two separate trips to Pelican Lake.

In both cases I was wacky fishing some senkos with 8-pound test, reeling in slowly, when I felt bites. After dropping the points of the rods and reeling in the slack, I set the hooks in the same manner both times, not too forcefully, but enough to set the hooks. I certainly didn't think in either case that I was being too rough on the rods. Anyway, it certainly didn't put a Smile on my face to have a nice largie on the line both times with broken rods. Needless to say, I'll never buy Fenwick again.

If I had loads of money, I'd probably look into G.Loomis. I've handled their rods at Sportsman's, and they are very fine. If I decided to buy one right now, however, I'm sure that my wife, after seeing that I'd paid over $250 on one fishing rod, would take said rod and begin to whip me with it.

For now, I must say that I've been very pleased with the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite rods. After my Fenwick fiascos, I purchased a 7' medium-action Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite rod, and everything from its workmanship to its sensitivity is impressive. It's definitely a workhorse and is nearly indestructable.

I also like St. Croix a lot. I have an ultra-light Premier 5' 6" St. Croix rod that is extremely fun to fish mountain streams with. I tie a spinner on the end of some 6-pound line connected to that ultra-sensitive little gem, and I'll tell you, every fish even down to the pan-sized ones feels like a monster. There have been a few times that I've hooked into a decent sized brown or two up Sp. Fork Canyon and I've passed the little St. Croix to one of my sons, and even after they've wailed on it, smacking it into tree limbs, dropping in on river rocks, etc. it's still very strong and reliable.

St. Croix's Web site [url "http://www.stcroixrods.com"]www.stcroixrods.com[/url] is great in that it explains the differences between extra fast, fast, moderate, and slow tips on rods. It also has a rod-selector feature that is helpful, even if you don't end up buying a St. Croix.

Hope all of this helps.

PF
[signature]
Hey Tube,

You bet on the lure testing. K2 and I are headed to San Diego salt for a minimun of three weeks of yakfishing in June. Let me know and I'll cover costs. We are also trying to get the first Yak Macks (nice ring to it) this spring. If you have any arsenal or ideas for the the Gorge it sure would be appreciated. Thanks bud. Did you see the last Stein report for me and Tin and K2?. That was all on your creations. You are an artist my friend. Thanks again.

Yak Crazy, Kayote
[signature]
Lets shoot for this spring sometime Tube. We can get Tin and Kent if he wants. Anybody else that would be interested would be welcome too. I have a buddy that works up there that will boat shuttle too if we want. We could carry the tubes and tow the yaks anywhere we wanted to hit. I only say this because I know tubes have a very limited range as opposed to yaks. Would hate to leave you behind in our wake, hehehe. Sounds like a plan. Might have to stay an extra day and hit the Green. I've been wanting to yakfish the river for a while. Same guy will shuttle to Little Hole if you're up to it. Hoping to have a fishfinder installed in the yak soon to hunt structure and fish. Can't wait for the salt trip to SD. Signed out for a whole month. Don't know if I'll use it all, but it's nice to know i can. I sense there is a white seabass in my future..............

Yakfishing on the Brain, Kayote
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"Must be nice to "sign out" for a month. And, no nagging spouse to beg for a kitchen pass. "[/size][/#0000ff]

I've had that disease, and I've found the cure. Just go fishing. I've P.O.'d a few serious girlfriends, but as long as they eventually leave I get to fish all I want. One night of dinner, flowers and a movie costs about the same as a new fishfinder. Even better, the fish finder will never nag you to visit it's parents. LMAO

Yaks Never Run Out of Gas, Kayote
[signature]
Might be interested as long as I can fish from my boat. Sorry no Yaks or Tubes on Flaming Gorge in my immediate plans.
[signature]
Thanks for the pic Tube. They look exactly like a WSB. Too cool. Gotta love Baja. It still has a lot to offer, even if it's not as good as the old days.

Kent,

Sure you can fish in your boat Kent. Would still be fun fishing with you guys, as always.

Yakfish Forever, Kayote
[signature]
Saltwater tackle testing???? That sounds right up my alley. It's just about Cuda season and ther are several colors that they bite on.

Calico and Sandy season are also hear. Leadheads and plastics are the ticket.[cool][cool]
[signature]
Color coordination is the essence of good fishing. The Cudas will lean towards the blues, silvers and greens in the LB area and they like the white and scrambeled egg mix near the Channel Island area.

I've pretty much taken my trebles off of my Tadys and Sumos and replaced them with some single hooks. Otherwise I catch more smaller ones and don't have a chance to limit on bigger fish.

The Cudas are a little more picky these days. When they see the treble hook they may attack out of anger. Whith the single hook, the bigger ones are more curious and hit harder.

On the other hand, with the single hook, the same jig will work with the squid strips for rock fish.[cool]

We are getting peltered heavy with more rains as you have seen. It put a hamper on all the fishing in fresh and inshore saltwater. There is so much debris in the inshore. There were reports of dead cows, horses and pigs around Ventura harbor.

Ventura and Hueneme have so many palm trees, driftwood and other debris that they estimated just over 6 million buck to clean it all up.[pirate]
[signature]