Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring fishing at Lake Powell?
Has anybody been to Lake Powell yet this spring? I am planning a trip there around the first of April and was wondering how the fishing was that time of year. I haven't fished there for a long time, but have heard the fishing has been good the last couple of years. Is Bullfrog marina's ramp open now? Any tips on where/what to use for stripers/smallmouth would be a help.
[signature]
I was there last year first weekend of April and the fishing was EXCELLENT.

I will be there April 4-9 and I expect it will be hot hot hot! I am looking forward to the early morning top water action. Look for the boils and surfacing stripers that are feeding and the game is on!
[signature]
I have been their 2 times thjs year the only hard thing is finding the right fish, when you use your elcts. you will hit schools of carp if you don't get a bite soon look for another school, that works for stripers for the bass they are moveing to the back 1/3 of the coves an on the sunne days try the backs, look for the wormer places. (covers) for that time of year. I'm will be their again the 17 to the 20 comming up I'll let you know.
[signature]
Sounds like fun.....did you put in at Bullfrog last year? I am going to call them next week and get some details. I heard the lake is coming up as well, so it sounds like a good time to go there, and maybe get some warm weather to boot. Did you try for any catfish, or was it too early? Thanks for the info! Good luck
[signature]
I was catching channel cats last year on curly tails while I was fishing for smallmouth.

I did put in @ bullfrog last year. Great times. I am looking forward to next month.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hi MADMAX101,[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Here a thread that was discussed a few days ago.[/size][/black][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=188565;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#333366][size 1]Lake Powell at Bullfrog[/size][/#333366][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As far as tackle, I'd have a little varieity. Here's a quick list that may help.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Jigging spoons[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Wallylures slab spoons are very popular. Large Kastmasters with dress trebles can be deadly. Buzzbaits and Spinnows will produce. Bucktail jigs or plastics can catch fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Trolling[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]JP rigs are very good for trolling whole anchovies. A nose clip harness trolling rig for anchovies will work. Use downriggers or weight a three way to get down to fish. Crankbaits like rattletraps and shad raps work too.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Topwater[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Excalibur Super Spooks are great. Cotton Cordell Pencil poppers are good also. Preferably you want some large white or chrome top water bait. Poppers will work. You may need to be able to cast some distance if you come across boils but they tend to be boat shy. Longer rods and heavier, larger topwater baits will help you reach out to the boils without scaring them off.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Bait[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Chunking achovie is the way to go. Tie a 1-2 oz weight at the end of your line with two hooks above it and drop down on them. Chumming can bring them in and start them feeding. Try night fishing.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Just got through with looking at that post.....and the web site for Waynes words...very good info. Thanks for the tip. It sounds like the fishing should be good late March/Early April. Sounds like fun.
I will be sure and take an assortment of lures and baits with. I'm sure out of the $5,000 plus, worth of tackle I have (that's what the wife says)I can come up with something that will work. Anybody that goes there in the next few weeks please keep me posted!
[signature]
Bassrods,
I'm just curious, are you the same individual that was demonstrating the casting techniques at the boat show a few weeks ago??
[signature]
I was of many an yes I do a lot of demo .
[signature]
Thanks for the information on Lake Powell. You have already talked to my partner about our trip to Bullfrog on the 17th. You can count on us getting together in the fall for the fishing trip. We will make sure we contact you by mid August to put it together. Good luck at your tournament.
[signature]