Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye Spawning Questions?
I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions about spawning eyes. I have never caught a walleye and I am going to try hard this year. Do walleye spawn up streams and rivers like trout or do they just find rocky bottoms? Do they spawn shallow or deep? What is the best bait to catch spawners? Thanks for the help and I hope to try a few places this coming week and I will post my success or failure.
Although I am hardly an 'eye expert, I have fished for Walleye during the spawn a few times.

They spawn both up in rivers as well as in shallow rocky and/or gravelly areas of the lake. They do not usually strike out of hunger during the spawn, but they will hit lures such as a curl tail jig and I'm sure many others. Not sure if it's just a reaction strike or if they are annoyed by the thing trespassing on their territory and spoiling their "fun".

I know that they spawn much more heavily at night, but check the proclamation for closed areas and dates/times, especially in and around Utah Lake because there are some restrictions aimed at protecting them during the spawn.

That being said, good luck to you!

Kevin
[signature]