Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kokanee questions/ flaming gorge wyoming side questions?
Hey I have been dying to get into some kokanee, but have never caught one and have a few questions. First is where can a guy have good luck on the kokanee in utah and or does anyone have some advice on catching them at the gorge on the utah side. My other question is, if I want to fish the wyoming side how much does it cost to get a reciprocal stamp and where can I get one (can you get one online like you do with the regular licenses?). I am just trying to decide if it would be worth it to get one and if I could catch enough fish to make it worth it (Oh I was also wondering if anyone knows if the regs are different on the wyoming side than the utah side). I live in Orem and don't have a boat, but I do have a few float tubes and an 11ft pontoon that has a trolling motor mounted to it,
jed
[signature]
the reciprocal stamp is only 10 bucks.. we stoped at a gas station close to the lake and got my stamp the other day when we went up..
can't help with the other qustions you got tho sorry..
[signature]
Hey Jed,

Now that I have an electrical trolling motor, I hope to be able to hold over them at Strawberry and catch them vertical jigging. I have seen them several times up there while I have been trolling, but never been able to stay over the school before. If I get them figured out, perhaps we can get a trip scheduled up there. You don't need to fish the Wyoming side of Flaming Gorge to catch kokanee; however, I believe on the whole, the larger ones are caught on the Wyoming side. Perhaps there are a few times during the year that one can reach them at FG without having access to a boat, but I think the majority of the time, because of the distance that one must travel out into the reservoir it would be extremely difficult.
[signature]
that would be a lot of fun kent. I won't have classes in the morning next summer and if I get enough notice I can switch a mon. for a fri. pretty easy,
jed
[signature]
Jed I love the fact that you are wanting to go after my favorite fish... and I hope to shed some light on the Kokanee. Like ken said previously the bigger Kokes are up in Wyoming However don't under estimate Utah there are some Monster's there too. I would love to have you come up with me to the Gorge and We'll make SURE that you have some to fight in. The stamp's are very reasonable and you just can't fight a better fish(freshwater that is)! Now we just need to get together and go my boat has plenty of room ....maybe we'll grab Ken and the three of us can go. My company Shasta Tackle makes a ton of Kokanee lure's that are really producing up there and I'd be happy to set you up with some to get you started. It's taken me the better part of 10 year's to get to where I am in the Kokanee department and I would bet we could get you schooled up in a hurry so to speak....Drop me a PM and let's set up a time I love to fish with new friend's
Lot's of Luck
SOCKEYE SLAYER
[signature]
I'll share a "secret spot" with ya. Go to the mustang ridge boat ramp down by the dam on the 'gorge and launch into the small bay that's directly west of the ramp. Use a dropper weight rig (similar to a J.P.rig) to get your offering down to the 30'-50' range and troll straight up and down the middle of that little bay with your electric. you'll need to go pretty fast, like 3-4 mph. use wedding rings,koke killers,ospreys etc... all tipped with a little nightcrawler. A sonar can really help you determine what depth to run your lures. I've always found schools of 'kokes hanging in that bay from mid may thru mid july. With that drop weight pullin' on their soft mouths a rubber snubber seems to help get more fish to hand. A dipsy diver can also get you pretty deep but they're a little tougher to use.

P.S.---watch out for the quick rising bottom in the middle of that bay... (out from the pennisula) it'll take it's share of your rigs.

I hope this helps! Good luck![Wink]
[signature]