Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locomotive Springs
Man!!! What a beautiful day!!!!! Took the kiddies to Locomotive Springs today. Caught several small bows, and several small carp. Took a friend of mine's son for his first fishing trip. He had a blast catching the little bows.
[signature]
The day sure was nice. Did you guys fish the east pond, or the west pond?
[signature]
I had heard there were 2 different ponds out there, but We just fished the first one we came to. I assume since we were coming from thiokol, we were at the east pond.
[signature]
That is also dependant on which way you came in. If you stayed on nice graded dirt roads the whole trip, you probably fished the west pond. If there was a chimney from an old house still standing by the pond you were at, it was the east pond. Either way, they are fun to fish.
[signature]
There was definetly no chimney. How do I get to the East side? I come from Roy. I usually head out through Corrine, then I turn off at Thiokol and head west till the road makes you turn right or left. I head west till it ends again, and I head west to the pond.
[signature]
After reading your post I dug out my old Locomotive Springs maps and I can see at least six springs feeding the marshes out there. The lake by the chimney is called Bar-M spring. If you go south down a dirt road from Bar-M you get to a small pond called Teal spring. If you are coming in from Snowville on the Locomotive Springs road the first lake you come to is called Baker Spring and the main road connects Baker and Bar-M. Several times I drove on the roads south into the large marsh areas to look for deeper holes that I could fish. It was really shallow out there and large carp are all I saw, no trout. I think the trout stay closer to the fresh water in the springs. The other springs are named Sparks, Off, and West Locomotive. I haven't been to them all because usually the gates are locked closed by the DWR. Acey

Life is Fishing...the rest is just details.
[signature]
That road you were on when you fished the west pond, just curves to the south and east, and within about 3/4 mile or so you get to the other pond, so it's easy to get to. Good luck if you head back out there.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.
[signature]
We are planning a boy scout overnighter in april and thought of heading west to find less snow and cold weather. Would locomotive springs be a good place for an overnighter? And how exactly do you get there? Chicken.
[signature]
Go to Thiokol, ( West of Tremonton ) and take the Promentory point turnoff. Head west, and follow the signs. You'll be on dirt roads for about 20 miles. Last week there was a car rolled over because they lost control on the corner. It can be a little rough, so be careful. There are no developed sites that I could see, But I have seen campers out there.
[signature]
One of the most memorable trips I took as a scout was an overnighter to Locomotive Springs. We camped next to the water on Bar M Spring (The one with the chimney) in the first week of May. It got cold at night but not as cold as the Uintahs in August. Fishing at Locomotive is perfect for the impatied scout who has to "see fish" to believe they are there. The water is clear and shallow and one can watch how the fish react to the baits and lures. This can be very exciting.
Today I took my father to Locomotive and fished at Baker Spring. Baker is just a hop, skip and a jump from Bar M. You can see the chimney from Baker. The fish were hitting on just about anything but were crazy for flies tied to a bubble and retrieved ultra slow. We both caught 6-8 trout and I managed two nice carp. There are a lot of small fish (perhaps Shiners???) right off the bank who pursued everything we threw. Caught too many of those pests.
I see that you are from North Logan. It is probably quicker to get to the springs by going to Snowville and taking the first exit. Turn left and drive over the freeway. There is a gravel road that is 18 miles long and drops you right into the springs without making any turns. Road was good today. Saw a few pronghorn. Forgot sunscreen - got a little red on the face and ears.
[signature]