Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo River?
I am coming up from Idaho to fish the Provo this weekend and was wondering what flies/location would produce. Thanks in advance for the info.
[signature]
Which section of the Provo?

I fished a good BWO hatch last Friday on the lower section near the tunnels. They came up around 12, and slowed down about 3.30. A size 16-18 BWO parachute was working the best along with emergers in the film. Show up early and get a spot.
[signature]
Icthys is correct in that the Baetis are starting to show a decent presence. If you're planning on hitting the ISE show at the same time, stop by the fly tying theatre Thursday or Friday evenings and I can show you some patterns.

If not, send me an e-mail and I'll get you set up with some can't miss patterns.
[signature]
Besides dry flies the guys are doing well with 14 sow bug,14 Green caddis larva,18 soft hackle sow,18 copper black Zebra midge,10 D.A. caddis,8 red san juan worm. Also getting good reports that 20 black drymerger is nailing them. Have fun on the Provo
[signature]
Keep in mind that the Lower Provo is about 2 feet low right now - 3/16/05. Don't know how that will affect fishing. Could congregate them or shock them.

Deer Creek Res. has risen about 4 inches in the last 2 days. Looks like they are filling the res.
[signature]
I HERD FROM UTWALLEYE TUESDAY THE BROWNS WERE HOT AFTER SCUDS.
[signature]
I sent you a PM Everet14. Try those flies on for size and I'm sure you'll have fun.

While the river may be a little low (as it normally is during this time of year), the moss has cleared up and with the Baetis out, you'll have some great fishing.

Just remember that when the hatch ends, the fish are still going to like to eat the drowned adults and nymphs, so pound the holding lies with your dry/dropper. If that doesn't produce, go to a full nymph rig and pound them with the nymphs.
[signature]
Why would you come from Idaho to fish the provo? I was there last Wed. and was so disgusted with the hords of fishermen and their lack of curtisy I am questioning if I am ever going back. People will come right to the head of a hole you are fishing in and start fishing. I had two older boneheads cross the river no more than 5 feet in front of the hole I was fishing. I understand that it is spring and everybody wants to get out, but that place is rediculus.
[signature]
To tell you the truth if I could stay up here I would. I have been having fantastic days on the Henrys Fork the last couple of weeks for HUGE fish including a 25 inch brown(check out my thread Henrys Fork in the Idaho forum I have picyures of it) and we have been the only ones on the river. But seeing as I am coming down this weekend for the Doug Miller show I thought I might get a little fly fishing in.
[signature]
While you are down here you might give the Weber a shot too, The fishing is out standing for Browns in the Wanship area use the same patterns as the Provo. Both Rivers are well worth your time and the fish should be easier to catch than you are use to on the Henry's Fork.
[signature]
I'm with WanaGoFishin, the lower Provo is a joke. I fished it last week and had 5 different fisherman came within casting range of me. I know it's busy, but what happened to river etiquette. If I were you, I wouldn't touch the lower provo with a ten foot pole (couldn't use it anyway because you'd hit another fisherman). Go hit the Weber, you'll be glad you did.
[signature]