Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another new tuber
Well hello everyone
I have just learned of this site, and am glad that there is such a forum for me to chat with others on. I have used the name VITUBER, this stands for Vancouver Island Tuber, and yes I am Canadian. Just so you all know Vancouver Island is an island on the west coast of Canada.
I look forward to chatting with all you tubers
[signature]
Welcome aboard man. I'm always glad to here of another person joining from up North. I aint from canada but close, I live in North Dakota. I too have a float tube and love it. What type of fish do you mainly target? As you can tell by my screen name I'm a crappie fan but usally have limited success lol. Oh well. Once again welcome aboard.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Good to have someone on board from "God's Country". I used to live in northern California and worked all up and down the coast. Had some fishing buddies in Washington that took me up into British Columbia for steelhead on the Campbell and float tubing for Kamloops in the lakes of that area. Fun, fun, fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you find the right protected areas up there, you can get some great salt water fishing for rockfish and even salmon and steelhead from your tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep us posted on your trips and feel free to ask any questions you can't find answered in the Best of the Best section at the top of the page.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well I really apreciate your greetings. I am planning on fishing on a little lake where my wife and I go camping, just off the logging roads in a town called Lake Cowichan. I have fished there numerous times but never got anything. I have seen other people get fish there so I know they are in the lake. I axpect to see some rainbow trout at the end of my rod(but that is not what my wife expects).
I do have a question though, I have decided officially on the Trout Unlimited Bighorn.( there sure is a lot to chose from, it drove my wife crazy with me changing my mind all the time) So now that I decided on a tube, I have a question about waders. Is there any reason I can not use a wet suit, I don't know much but arn't they supposed to keep you warm as well. If anyone has a reason why this will not work please let me know. My wife and I spent a couple of hours in the lake last year, with nothing but a swimsuit while we were snorkeling.
Thanks for all your advice.

Oh yeah are there any other Canucks out there?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is no law that you have to fish in waders. Quite a few tubers around the country use wet suits. The key is your own comfort and maneuverability. If you have some good neoprene booties and your feet stay comfortable too, then go for it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Down in the warmer climates, I fish "wet" whenever the water temps climb above about 70 degrees. I just go out in a comfortable pair of cotton pants and either tennis shoes or neoprene divers' boots. The only places you might want to wear waders, even in warm weather, is in waters where there are nasty organisms like "swimmers' itch".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can fish in swim trunks or cutoffs, but I do not recommend it. You can get sunburn on the tops of your exposed legs, even through several inches of water. The protection of wearing full length pants also helps against chaffing and scratches from underwater branches, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you have something to get out away from shore (float tube) you will be able to reach the offshore feeding areas. Many times the more experienced fish tend to stay well away from casting range of shore anglers, or they tend to feed over shallow flats or structure that is not reachable by shore casting. Float tubing will broaden your horizons and help you get a shot at fish you could not reach otherwise.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Did you read my mind TD. BUt you missed one thing to also get away from my very Loving but Nagging wife.
I hope to chate more with you, do you also use MSN llok me up at the address I sent you
[signature]
Vituber, you won't be disappointed with the trout unlimited bighorn. This is the one that I have. It works great and you move around fairly well in the water. It is also a very durable float tube.
[signature]
Welcome aboard (afloat) VITUBER. We are alwasy glad to have new members here and especially welcome fellow tubers.[cool]

Please be sure to post some pics of your rig once you have it all ready.
[signature]
Welcome VITuber! That I know of there are not any other "Canucks" on the Float tubing board. But you could change that! Invite your friends to join BFT as well! The more the merrier!

I'm from Utah, as are several here on the FloatTube board. Good luck in your quest at the lake!
[signature]
Im a new tuber too. My tube is not however. (Dont know the brand, but it is a donut style) Its practically new because Ive only used it once or twice since I got it ten years ago. One of my goals for the year is to utilize it more. So Ive been watching the tube forum and been getting lots of advice.
BFT - I love this place!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The tube doctor's diagnosis is that you have a tubing deficiency. My prescription is to get on the water more often, in your donut dinghy, and really get to appreciate all of the benefits of this sport.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My prediction: You will be a lot more enthusiastic once you really learn to use your craft, and once you are seeing more enjoyment from your fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are quite a few tubers and tooners on the Utah board, and we usually post our plans for trips to different waters. It ain't an exclusive club. We welcome others on any of our trips. Feel free to pop in on those posts and get the specifics, and to maybe "hook up" with someone to share a ride or whatever.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have had a couple of get-togethers to show off our different setups...for sonar, rod racks, fish baskets, etc. Those are good for getting some ideas for tricking out your own craft. We should be having something again within the next month or so. We will post it up when we get the next one together.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I do have a canoe and I get out on that from time to time, so Im not completely devoid of H2O time. But my canoe is a heavy 16' fiberglass job so I always need someone to go with so I can get it on and off the roof rack. The tube will free me up so Im not always at the mercy of someone elses schedule.
Get out of the canoe - get into the tube - I get it. Thanks Doc
[signature]
I like wearing a swimming trunks or cut offs while tubin' but I pack something along to drape over my legs. Yep,, I perfer water temps of 70 degrees or above while in the tube cause I'm an old whuss when it comes to the cold water.
[signature]