Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midweek Tubin'
[cool][#0000ff]I posted this on the Utah board but thought it should probably go here too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"[cool][blue]Sneaked out of work early to meet up with a bad crowd at Lindon/Bubbleup. CBR was already out on the pipeline when I arrived about 3:30. I was launched by 4 and hung a small white bass in about two feet of water not far from the dike on the way out. Got another in 3 feet within a hundred yards.[/blue][blue]

I had been dragging a big minnow on the bottom, while casting a white marabou roadrunner jig. No takers on the bait and CBR announced on the radio that he had just landed his second walleye. I brought in the bait and pedaled my wagon toward the growing string of boats (see pic).

Water temp was 67.5 when I launched and warmed a couple of degrees before I finally went in about 7:30. Air temp was mid 60's at launch and a balmy 70 as I hit the road to go home.

Being a sportsman and a gentleman, I kicked my tube well around the outside boat at the end of the string. The last boat brought in a small walleye as I passed and they tried to hide it as they boated it. I had just gotten well past them when I got a hard whack on my white marabou roadrunner again, only this time it had shoulders. Who says walleye don't fight. This post spawn mama kicked my (behind) for several minutes. I even thought I might have had a cat on for a minute.

[/blue][/#0000ff][blue]When I scooped her into the net, I couldn't see my jig. She had snarfed it. (see pic). I released her unharmed into my basket. I had come for a walleye dinner.

About that time, Mikecromaine and Out4trout came on the scene...Mike acting as a pushing tugboat with O4T riding backwards in front. Mike kept trying to talk to me on the radio as I has subduing my walleye and taking pictures. Danged kids just got no couth.

Since I had my dinner, I left the gathering to the others and departed slowly back toward the car. I dragged both minnows and carp meat as an enticement for a kitty or two. Had three or four "pickups" but nothing was serious.

As I approached my takeout point about 7:30, the carp were rolling something fierce in the shoreline reeds. In fact, I almost got in the middle of a travelling carp orgy as I was pushing my tube in through the last bit of brush to get out. Get out the bows, guys.

When I taped and weighed the walleye, it was 26" and 5.5 pounds. I have caught walleye that weighed almost twice that much for the same length. It was trying to put the weight back on though. When I took off the first fillet, I saw a major lump in its gut. It turned out to be an 8" bullhead. I know they feed on them a lot after spawning. I used to do real well fishing big walleyes with big black marabous and plastics.

I left before the other guys did, so I don't know how they finished up. I guess they will post their own reports."
[/blue]
[signature]