Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Pleasant Surprise in Jordanelle
I arrived at Jordanelle about 8 AM and blasted off about 8:15 AM Tuesday the 24th. Made a beeline to one of my favorite coves and on my 3 or 4th cast hooked into a nice smallie about 13 inches long. Headed to a new location and boated a couple more smallies about the same size. Third spot and caught a 17 incher and again puddle hopped to yet another cove where I caught two nice bass.

The difference with these two bass is...they were largemouths one measured 18 1/2 inches, weighting in at 4 lbs 14 oz on my digital scales and the other was 13 inches. At least there are a few largemouth left in Jordanelle. Remanants of the two private ponds down the valley before Jordanell was formed.
[signature]
It was great seeing the photos of those largemouth and seeing there are some good ones in there that were fat and thriving. Can't wait to get up there to hook some more smally and some bucket mouths. Wink
[signature]
What was the water temp up there? Did you get any to go on the road? I know that I have seen some LMB yearlings suspending around the back of the cuts. The LMB will actually do really well there. I give it 5 more years for them to establish and be just like Deer Creek. Oh, without the carp. For those who didn't know, Deer Creek is the bomb right now. Bass are being caught everywhere!
[signature]
Here is the photo of the LMB Cliff caught.

[Image: largemouth.sized.jpg]
[signature]
The water temp was 60 at the boat ramp at first and by the time I left at 1:00 it was 62, and the water is comming up fast it still had about 10 to 15 feet to full.
[signature]
[green][size 2]Water temps are changing dailey. Weds morning it started at 55 and top at 62(depending where you at). Water levels are rising about 3 or more feet a day. It was at least 10 higher than last sat.

Dude, largemouth have been in there for 10 years. And, they still haven't taken off yet. It just doesn't warm enough for largemouth. For instance, last years high water temperatures was just over 70 degrees. Lmb's need much warmer water to be able to reproduce in numbers.
[/size][/green]

[signature]
tomegun your premise on water temp being the reason is wrong look at hyrum newton, glendale in ID twin in ID all good largemouth lakes and not any warmer than jordanelle. The biggest reason is probably the sheer numbers of smallmouth in the lake. Take for instance pineview I used to catch up to 25 largemouth a day there of all sizes, since the smallies took over the largemouth numbers have decreased every year. there are alot of factors, water temp being 1 of many. the last time I fished Jordanelle probably 3 years ago we caught six largies from 12 to 15 inches that day many more smallies of course .
[signature]
I have to agree with you another place that largemouth has declined is Lake Powell and Deer creek in the 80s you could find largemouth all over, but not now.

Smalles can and do push out largemouth when you have a water levels like we do hear .
[signature]
I enjoy reading these post's about bass. I was converted to bass fishing while in the service. I dont know alot about it but am learning all the time.
Thanks for the info guys and any other tips you would be willing to share. pm me if you do not want to put it on the public board.

I feel that a person can always learn something from others, so i am always open to new ways and ideas. Thanks again for all the info.

Scottieb
[signature]
Yes it is true they are alot of fun. And would be alot better if we can get regulations on the water levels of the lakes so they stay at a more constant level. This would keep all types of fish at better levels, so more trophies can be catch and released for another day.

Happy fishing and my your lines get stretched and your arms get tired.
[signature]