Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tryin to spend my money
Here's a story for you. I went to Gaylan's to buy/look at reels today. Talked to a nice sales person who tried to be helpful. I explained what I wanted in a spinning reel, min number of bearings, it's intended use, and that it must have a high quality drag system. He pulled out a few, set them on the counter for me to inspect. I looked them over (prices ranged from $19 to $35). I asked him to remove the ones with palstic insides, 4 left right away. I then asked him to remove any that had palomor gears or parts inside and the rest left. So we talked some more and he pulled out a couple of Diawas, a Shakespere, and 2 Quantums. I played withthem for a few minutes, handed him back one of the Diawas and the Shakespere. I then asked him if it would be possible if I tried them out. He looked puzzled so I said I would need them spooled and a casting plug. Oh could I use one of your rods also and i walked over and picked up an ugly stick like mine. He thouhgt I was kidding. When i convinced that I was not he stated that they didn't do that there. I just had to buy the reel and go try it out fishing. If I didn't like they have a 30 day money back policy. So i put back the other items I was buying and headed over to Sportmens Warehouse in SLC. I am Sad to say it resulted in the same.

So i headed down to Orem to see my sister-in-law and while I was there I went over to Garts. Got a couple of xmas gifts for the kids and headed ove to Sportmens Warehouse in Provo. Went throuhg the same thing explained what I wanted and told the kid up front that I would like to try them out. He said no on had ever asked him to do that before, "but what weight line would you like them spooled with 4# or 6#". To make a long story shorter I took 5 outside casted them a bit. Then settled on the Quantum Catalyst. So I am now the proud new owner of a Quantum and maybe I will move from the stone ages in equipment now. I plan on going to the Berry in the morning to try it out. If it is as nice on the water as it is off I may have to retire my Mitchell to a back-up status. Thanks to all those who offered theri advice and experences. BTW it was a pleasure shopping at Sportmens Provo store and i ended up spending way to much money, but FB2 will have a very nice xmas this year.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You mean the Catalyst "PTI"? With the 8, count'em, polymer/stainless high-speed bearings and the "Hotsauce" molecular lubrication? ARRRRRH, ARRRH, ARRRRH! MaxCast Longstroke aluminum spoll for smooth cast and oversized "Twist Reducer" line rollers? GRUNT, GRUNT, GRUNT! Continuous anit-reverse II, Titanium Super Bail, and the Ceramic magnum drag system? OOOOOOOOHHHHH, AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH, "Thinline aluminum body with screwless side cover and scratch resistant vacuum-deposition plating? OH MY GOD! I THINK I"VE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I thought you weren't going to spend that much?................................[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM, your post is more fun than most of the comics are on this site. Great post!

Kent
[signature]
Livin the high life. Shoot, my most expensive spinning reels dont go more than $60.00 Somebody has a lot to be greatful for. I am glad they finally let you try it out. I think more sportsmen need to have the test out attitude before we buy. There are a few pioneers like yourself out there paving the way for the rest of us to have quality shopping expiriences. Old rainbow sparkle has a funny story about the same thing in shopping for spotting scopes. How can you buy something made to look long distance inside a store? Its an uncommon thing for the sales people to encounter a guy who is unwilling to buy before a good testing. Way to go road! Oh and congratulations fish boy2. Not many dads spoil christmas on the internet.
Hey Pred FB2 didn't get the reel dad did LOL. I didn't say what I got for the kid. It's all wrapped and stashed away for the big day. It's just going to kill him to wait. But what are dads for ehhh.
[signature]
Hey BLM that be the reel! I'm here to tell all of that PTi is sweet. I took it out today (didn't catch aby fish) but casted it for 2 stright hours. I have never felt anything so smooth ....... well maybe one thing. It wasn't like I could afford it but my sister loves me and said I should have it (or some kind of new reel) So she bought it for me. Happy birthday to me a bit early though as it isn't until next month.
[signature]