Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6-23-05 w/Pics
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Me and a co-worker (Dennis Flinn) who had never caught wipers before, decided to hit Willard after work. With the weather being so up and down, we didn't know if we should be going or not. But the urge to fish tipped the scales in favor of going.[/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]We launched at the South marina at about 4:45 PM. The water temps were 69-71 depending on the depth. The water was smooth as glass (that was about to change). We headed out northward past stinky point marking no fish. Trolled out through the east bay area and still very few marks. Decided to head west to deeper waters and that was the trick. Out in about 20 feet of water, about 1/3 the way out is where we started marking good fish. Most were marked at about 18 feet deep.[/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]No sooner had we started marking fish than did the wind, rain, and thunder start to come in hard. Didn't take but a minute for them white caps to demand respect. With still no bites, we headed back east for the protection of the dike. We were going to head back in but the protection of the dike made fishing tolerable. So fish on we did. And that's when we started catching fish. We landed 4 wipers, lost as many hits, and lost 1 good lure from a hard hitter.[/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Here are the lures we used. They all produced fish (or hits): A gray-top white-belly rattle trap, a beat up old modified producer, and that last one I don't know what it is. Can any one tell me what it is? Got most hits off it I think because it was getting down closer to the 18 feet deep fish.[/black][/font]

[inline lures.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Dennis had never caught a wiper so this was his first. He's not too sure if he will be going back to trout !! And he is already trying to figure out a way to convert his ski boat into a fishing boat. Wipers can do that to a guy. He-he.[/black][/font]

[inline Bad-Weather.jpg]

[inline Nice-Wiper.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]The stringer just before we filleted them for dinner.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[inline Stringer-of-3.jpg][/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Ralph, it looks like you guys did good considering the bad weather. That lure looks like a deep diving rapala or some type of Wally diver, does it rattle?
[signature]
I have a few of those. They are a wally world $1.97 special.
[signature]
Nice report and thanks for posting the great pics!
[signature]
I'll be heading up to Willard in the morning with my son. I also plan on launching at the south park. I hope we do as well as you. Last time we went we got skunked.
If any body is out give me a call on CH 12-0. I'll be in a blue and white bayliner. I am not very good at wipers yet and could use a little help.
[signature]