Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry turning over?
Just wondering if any one has heard of the berry turning over or if anyone has any perdictions. It was about this time last year when it turned over.
[signature]
Strawberry does not "turn over",in the fall it gets algae,sometimes thick,fishing is good in areas where it is not as thick from now until ice-up
[signature]
Actually the Berry does "turn over". I know there is alot of algea growth during the summer, but if you've ever been up there during that 2 week period, you'd know what I mean. Large clumps of moss all over the place! All that algae/moss comes from the bottom of the lake when the upper layer of water cools and sinks to the bottom, which forces all that moss to come to the top with the warmer water...thus the term "turn over". Pretty much all big/deeper lakes in Utah experience this each fall.

I haven't heard if the lake has turned as of yet Mike.
[signature]
TKB, I agree. The "some times thick algea" when spread threw out the water column and on the surface is the result of turning over and takes a week or two to clear up.
[signature]
it sure does turn over. sometimes algee is so thick it climbs up the line when trolling moore than a foot.
[signature]
Every body of water that freezes goes though two turn overs. Once before it can freeze, and once shortly after it thaws. But the algae at Strawberry is not comming to the surface because of turn over. The days are getting shorter, and the algae cannot produce enough food through photosynthesis to survive. It is dying, just like the leaves on the trees are changing colors as they die.

Turn over doesn't start until the surface of the water gets closer to 39.2 degrees farenheit. The last time I heard, the water was still in the 58 to 59 degree range at Strawberry.

Fishrmn
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You are exactly correct, Fishmn. Until the surface temperature become colder than the subsurface temps, "turnover" can not occur.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Here's a good article that explains Lake "turnover".[/size][/black][/font]
[center][url "http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/fish/ponds/laketurn/"][black][size 4]Lake Turnover[/size][/black][/url] [/center]
[signature]
Makes sense with the colder water...I had always assumed that the lake was turning over when all the stuff comes up, but I guess if all that stuff on the bottom is dying, then it would naturally float to the top. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Algae are not influenced much by day length like many land plants are. Optimal conditions for algae blooms are high nutrient levels, calm water, clear water allowing sunlight penetration, and warm air/water temperatures. It's actually the live algae causing the algae colonies to float to the surface. When the blooms first appear they are quite green, later in the season they can look quite brown because there are many dead cells in the colony. Each algae cell has a limited life span like most organisms, and it's relatively short. If there were no live cells in the colony, the dead cells would soon sink to the bottom where bacteria would consume them and consume oxygen in the process.

Strawberry is definitely a dimictic lake (2 mixes per year).

Want to read about water [url "http://waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/05_stratification.html"]density and stratification[/url], or play with some cool lake stratification [url "http://waterontheweb.org/data/java/dvt/color_mapper.html"]animation[/url], or just learn more about [url "http://waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/index.html"]lake ecology[/url] in general?
[signature]
MGB
I fished strawberry today and the water is still really clean and clear (I need to post a report). By this same week last year it was really thick with algea. I always assumed all of it came from the lake turning over but after reading all this maybe I'll change my mind. All I know is that the surface fishing got really good about this time last year. Do you change your tactics when the water gets so cluttered or do you continue to vertical jig?
[signature]
MGB

Fished the Berry 8-23 thru 8-24 and the lake has not turned over.
However it will happen soon, based on the surface temp of the lake. Two weeks ago it was still 69 degrees, but was 56 to 58 degrees this weekend.

Fishgrazy

I have to disagree about fishing the green algae. Some of my biggest fish and fastest fishing has come stripping woolly buggers thru floating green algae. So thick that you could not see two inches into the water. Fish on every cast type days.
[signature]
BFR
I too have had some excellent days stripping buggers through the thick stuff. This time last year was excellent for that. I fished today with tube jigs and did pretty well. A friend of mine also fished today in a different part of the lake and he trolled buggers and caught a few but not as many as we did with tube jigs. But I think in the next week or so its gonna get really good. I was getting 53 degree water temp reading this morning around mud creek.....
[signature]
BigCat I always vertical jigg strawberry useing the same old stuff, the only time I troll is while I am searching for a school but once I like the area I am in I start jigging.

Thanks for all of that good information everyone has posted about "turn over".
[signature]
[red][size 3]I have fished on occasion with some Fish and Wildlife officers that wouldn't be caught dead fishing on a lake during the thick algae period as they said the fish taste "mossy." It shouldn't make a difference if you are a catch and release kind of person, and I'm not the fish flesh connoisseur but I haven't really noticed an appreciable difference. What is everyone else's opinion or experience?[/size][/red]
[signature]
It is actually quite common to get a surge in algae growth when a lake turns over in the fall. Bacteria break down organic matter on the bottom of a lake all year long. Phosphate and ammonium (plant nutrients) are released during the process. During the warm part of the year when a lake is well stratified the nutrients build up below the thermocline. There is little or no mixing between the upper and lower water layers and there is little or no algae in the lower layer to consume the nutrients due to the lack of light and other limiting factors. The fall turnover mixes the banked nutrients into the upper water column and algae growth can really take off as a result.

Also, fall turnover actually begins when the surface water temperture reaches about 50°F. That's because the density difference between 39°F (4°C) and 50°F (10°C) water is not that great which allows the stratification to begin to break down. See the difference between shaded areas for water density at 5-10°C and 20-25°C in the figure below. A little wind at this time can really speed up the mixing. A lake is completely mixed when it's the same temperature top to bottom.

[center][Image: densityvstemp.gif][/center] [center][/center] [left][/left]
[signature]