Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10-2-05
Made it up to strawberry today with N.E.T.O. The weather was perfect when we arrived, no wind and about 50 degrees air temperature. About 10:00 a breeze moved in and then about 11:30 it startd to blow fairly hard but we where able to hold our postion so the wind was not a factor. At 2:00 the gusts of wind where strong and our anchor was having a hard time holding. By then we had caught enough fish and decided to call it a day since the weather was geting worse.

It didn't take long to locate a school in 33' of water holding tight to the bottom. We droped jiggs down to them and started hooking up. We each hooked up with over 3 dozen cutts a piece. Caught several 20 inchers and about 5 between 22-23 inches. Caught 1 rainbow and a cutt that had two mouths. I have heard of cutts being caught with two mouths but I have never seen one before untill today.

Surface temperature was 53 degrees.
[signature]
Woah, killer photo! Wierd looking fish.

Thanks for the report. I was thinking of hitting the berry again this weekend.
[signature]
I have never heard or seen such a thing!

Makes ya wonder why?

Nice report mike glad the "W" held off for some fishing time for you.
[signature]
Like MGB said, we had a great day at Strawberry today! Mike taught me a lot of things and I think I had a personal best ever fishing day. Some of the things I learned:
1. Location, location, location.
2. Be patient! We stayed basically in one spot the whole day, and the fishing was steady and fast from the first minute, but occasionally (...once) we had to wait 15 minutes or so for the school to come back around!
3. JIGGING is where its at! I had my spinner setup with me and didn't use it after the first hookup jigging.

When MGB said we caught about 3 dozen each, that is a conservative estimate...I think we caught more than that...honestly, we lost track. It got to the point where if we didn't have a hit within a minute or so after dropping our jigs, we knew that something was wrong it was so good! Mike even had to leave his pole out of the water while he ate lunch! He attempted to eat once or twice but kept getting interrupted catching fish!
Heres a few pics that I took, including the Rainbow that we caught and the double-mouthed Cutthroat.
Thanks again for the great trip Mike!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Mike, you have had an unbelievable year at Strawberry this year!
[signature]
Thanks for the report Mike. Looks like that cutt didn't have much of an eating problem though. I've caught one like that up there before...crazy lookin' fish. That bow looks kinda like a male Koke with the humped back.
[signature]
Another fine report . I was in the area but on shore for some color . Your bow is bigger than mine today , but a big cutt took one dink-bow from me while reeling him in . Did find a fish dead in the water that doesn't belong in the Berry . Not sure what it is , but it looks like something from Albertsons . Sorry for the finger on color3 [Tongue]. LOL
[signature]
TKB-It was a bow. The pictures are alittle bright, the bow did have true rainbow colors it also had some good shoulders on it kinda out of porportion with the rest of its body.

HA69- Did you catch that Koke today? What kind of a fish do you think that dead one is?
[signature]
Yes , I caught it today . All I could find was a school of smaller kokes . The dead fish was over by the ladders . I'm not sure what it is .
[signature]
Hey Randy, did you catch that brookie today at Strawberry too, or was that from somewhere else? If you caught it at the 'berry, I didn't know that there were brookies in there...[crazy]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, guys. Looks like the 'ol berry guide is still kicking butt up there and getting guys into lots of fish!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "deceased" is a tilapia. No doubt a failed transplant by a bucket biologist. Probably an aquarium dumper. Unfortunately (or fortunately) tilapia can't live in water below 55 degrees. In California, Florida and Arizona, where there are large populations of tilapia, there are big die-offs whenever a cold spell drops the water temps below their survival range.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, there are also tilapia living (and doing well) in Blue Lake, out by Wendover. That may have even been the source of the floater in Da Berry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And you're right. Tilapia are a popular food fish, sold commercially in many markets.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
We fished Half day on Saturday and endured the wind. Had a really difficult time finding and then staying on the fish. Spent most of the time trying to find out where they were at. Tried both sides of Haws Point all the way over to the meadows. Best bait was a 4" white tube filled with power bait. Gotta find some better spots since the old reliables are just not paying off any more. MR. J.
[signature]
They're very abundant in Nicaragua, and sought after by many fisherman there as a food source. The smaller "guapote" is also good, which to me looks like some species of bass similar to rock bass.
[signature]
MGB- Another great report from my favorite lake. It sure seems like that 33 feet is the magic depth this fall. You know its a good day when the fishing is too good to be able to eat your sandwich! Glad you were able to get into them again. Were you fishing around mud creek again. Its pretty cool that you found one rainbow and impressive about 5 fish that were 22+. I'm still waiting for mine! I think I caught that same freak fish with two mouths last winter ice fishing. It looked just like that. Could of been its evil twin though I guess. I gotta get back up there again soon. I used a lot of kitchen passes last week with 2 trips to the berry, one all day duck hunt, and 5 softball games. My wife tells me its her turn to go play! Go figure!
[signature]
Hi BigCat, we where fishing past mud creek.

MRJ- the fish have been moving the last couple weeks. The areas that worked in August and most of September are no longer productive.
[signature]
Brookies are in the river downstream . It has been a while since I chased them and the sure go airborne a lot . Lost quite a few , but had a blast playing with them . They use to be in the Berry and some may still be .
[signature]
Thank for the clarification TubeDude . I remember it being discussed here about Blue Lake having some . Fish was about 14" in length . I was looking for kokes in the channel and seen it in the water . At first I was thinking smallie until I got closer .
[signature]
[font "Viner Hand ITC"][#ff4040][size 3]I have caught one of those guys out at Blue Lake. I was out with KrayzieGee last year fishing for bluegills. Thought it was pretty weird, but kept it though. They are pretty tasty when you fry them up. Pretty good fighting fish on super light tackle.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have caught them in Florida and in Arizona. The canal system in southern Florida is full of "exotics"...tilapia, Oscars, peacock bass, South American catfish, etc. When you fish there it is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what your gonna get. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In Arizona there are populations of Tilapia in several of the lakes and in the lower Gila river. They are really good fighters and as KS pointed out, they are good eating too. They get to be almost 5 pounds and they fight like a crappie on steroids.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too bad they can't hack cold water. There are some weedy lakes in Utah they would find to their liking, and I am sure they would develop a following. But, our cold climate pretty well puts a lid on the bucket biologists.[/#0000ff]
[signature]