Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grouse anyone?
Now that we are 4 weeks into the forest grouse season, how has everyone been doing? I've been out four times and am 0 for 4. Only seen three the whole time. Is it just me or are the pickins a bit slim this year? By this time last year I had eight to my credit in four outings. My dog is starting to get frustrated. Should I give up this year or keep on trying? With the price of gas, I hate to make the oil companies rich for nothing. Speak up! MR. J.
[signature]
They're out there, just you have to find where. They are more scattered this year because of several factors, including more water sources available, more food available, so they don't need to concentrate as much, as well as a wet spring which probably took its toll on the hatch, causing some to re-nest late and others to lose part of their brood.

Try up above Heber (to the East and south of heber) there are a bunch up there in that area, if you know where to look.
[signature]
I also have found it very hard to find the birds. I am going to wait for it to cool down just a bit more then go after them and see if it make a difference. On the mzzl deer hunt I only saw I ruff the whole time.
[signature]
That is where I usually go on the opener, but just haven't made it up there yet. I am hoping the weather cooperates next Saturday or the following Monday because that is where I am headed. I have this new 20 ga. O/U I still need to "Christen. Good luck on your next hunt.
[signature]
Good luck on your next outing. If you find a whole herd of them, tie a bunch up to a chokecherry bush for me. MR. J.
[signature]
My son and I went out the second weekend, we jumped 6 and got one. Last weekend while muzzleloader hunting we saw three ruffs that would have been easy to take but we were deer hunting. A friend that was hunting on Montie Cristo on opening day said he saw over twenty birds and he got his limit. I think for most of us the birds a few and far between with pockets where the birds did OK but all in all I think the numbers are down. In years past when the numbers are down, I don't hunt them more than once, so there will be a few left for next years, I know I won't hunt them again this year. Now the chuckers and huns are a different story, I'm going to get out there and give them a try very soon. Good luck if you go out again. WH2
[signature]