Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheridan Perch nab crown from trout
[size 1][black][size 4]Perch nab crown from royal trout in winter angling kingdom[/size][/black] [/size]
[black][size 3]By Kevin Woster, Journal Staff Writer
RAPID CITY — On a chilly winter day, a single word will warm the hearts of ice anglers shivering near their fishing holes on Sheridan Lake.
Believe it or not, the word is not “trout.” Not here. Not now.

Of course, trout are worthy fish — the king, in fact, of their Black Hills domain, both in numbers and angler affection.

But on Sheridan Lake and other popular fishing spots in the heart of winter, the word that rules is “perch.”

Sheridan Lake has plenty of trout, along with a reliable supply of cooperative rock bass, hefty largemouth bass and toothy northern pike.

But it’s the yellow perch that really flip the bails for anglers armed with light spinning reels and unlimited aspirations this time of year.

Perch bite light and often fight gently, with an air of intelligent resignation. But they pack a punch when they get to the table.

Perch are really just little yellow walleyes — both in their family connections and in the high-quality flavor they bring to any meal. They love a cluster of color grubs packed on a tiny jig and hung on light line down below where they wait in scattered schools.

Find a school, and you often find more action than one angler can handle. And it’s worth it if you have to wait a while, or move a couple of times to make it happen, or go home skunked one day and come back the next.

Because there’s nothing better on a cold winter night than a mess of light, flaky perch fillets sizzling in oil and butter or baking in the oven.

There’s no prettier sight to a winter-weary angler than a light-action bobber as it wiggles once, twice, then dives down into the dark ice hole and out of sight.

That means the bite is on.

It’s the perch bite, the one that really matters these days.

[/size][/black][url "http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2006/01/06/news/outdoors/336outdoors.txt"][black][size 3]http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/...oors/336outdoors.txt[/size][/black][/url][black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Troy, I'm a long time perchaholic. Love them perchies. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What is the state record in SD, and what is a good "average" size on your local waters? I might have to bring my tube up there sometime and dredge a few up. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last fishing I did over that way was below Oahe Dam many long years ago. Good fishing for big fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]