Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntin Fever!
I can't stand it anymore! I need to kill something that's furry. Does anyone know where to kill ground squirrels(aka pot guts) or rock chucks? It has to be a place that i won't get in trouble for shooting there. I used to shoot them in Memorial campground up South Fork, but the sheriff decided he wasn't amused. A game warden once told me it was ok, but with more and more people doing it they started enforcing the "shooting in campground "laws. I guess. They say no now and the squirrels are multiplying by the hundreds. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
[signature]
I here you there. I'd love to get out. I usually wait till the end of May before bustin' the guts though. Gives the little ones a chance to get big enough to be curious! They are even stupider than the parents!
[signature]
Not to rain on anyones parade but guts are out of season until the middle of June. You also are restriced to where in the state you can get them as well as what kind you can get.

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/06-03/...e_dogs.php
[signature]
Thanks for the info OEJ. I had no idea there were different kinds or closed seasons. I will have to check out Wyoming's regs and see what is on tap up there. Do you personally know areas to avoid the White-tailed and Utah strains? Any info on these two would be great.
[signature]
I just quenched my thirst for hunting, I shot a big Tom(turkey) on Saturday down in southern utah, it was a blast.[Smile] I have never cut out a tag in April before!
[signature]
[reply]
Not to rain on anyones parade but guts are out of season until the middle of June. You also are restriced to where in the state you can get them as well as what kind you can get.

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/06-03/...e_dogs.php [/reply]

That reg is for Prairie Dogs, not Pot-Guts.

Rut
[signature]
Is there a difference?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just don't hunt around any military installations. The wildlife in those areas are sometimes well armed.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=15541;]
[signature]
Holy schizzle!! I'm staying home from now on.
[signature]
[reply]
Is there a difference? [/reply]

As far as I know (you should probably check with DNR) the potgut (Uintah Ground Squirrel) is not protected, but the Prairie Dog is. They are different colors and sizes and don't share the same habitat, so distinguishing them shouldn't be much of a problem.

Rut
[signature]
I have tried and the best answer I can get, since put-gut is a nickname for them, is they are prairie dogs. Squirels may be different, I have never really researched them. I decided since I could not get a straight answer from any official, besides some are protected and some are not, I decided to bag the whole idea.
[signature]
lol. Hey TD, is that the caddy-shack gofer?
[signature]
Here are a couple pics to help. Ground squirrels (pot guts) are much smaller than Prairie Dogs. in northern and central utah you usually see ground squirrels but down south you have the Prairie Dogs. On our way to Lake Powell two weeks ago we saw hundreds of them in the fields past price they are huge, bigger than cats its very easy to see the difference.
[signature]