Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Gas Consumption
Just curious.....we take a 19ft bass boat to Powell and it seems that we cant get very far (10 miles up, few hours of fishing in a canyon, 10 miles back) on a tank of gas. It seems to us that we should be able to cover a lot more ground with a full tank.
We are driving a 96 Mariner outboard, 125hp.
Any ideas on how to "tune it" to get better fuel consumption?
OR, does this sound about right for a small bass boat?
[signature]
There is one thing I have learned about long runs,If you just back off the throttle a little bit like 1mph you will get better gas mileage,I was looking at my motor manuel and they discribe this in there,I run a 90HP Johnson.
I would also say that ten miles on powell can be decieving,because it not a striaght line.If your turning alot that puts alot of load on the motor and will decrease gas mileage also.
FNF[cool]
[signature]
The one thing you forgot to mention was how big your tank is.6 gal,12 ,24. Kinda hard to know if you are having bad gas mileage with out knowing how much you used.As other said it'd not ten miles straight from point a to point b.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I made over a 130 mile run on Powell last year and it took about 40 gallons of fuel with my 115 hp Johnson at approximately 4500 rpm and 27 mph. That's not exact but ball park. What I dang near ran out of was two cycle oil. Opened my eyes as to what a motor will use in oil![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I try(not always with success)to keep it to 3500RPM,slower but saves gas
[signature]
I have a 5.0 liter V8 inboard/outboard with a 25 gallon fuel tank. Last year I got 76 miles before I ran it bone dry. I know it was 76 miles cause I had my GPS running all day. You do the math. About 3 miles to the gallon. That being said I way running almost full open (about 5200 RPM's and 48 MPH) going both ways throught the channel and up Navajo canyon both ways. I could have done a little better on gas if I would have backed it down to about 3500 RPM's and 30 MPH I suppose. But what fun is that[Wink]. It did hurt the wallet though!
[signature]
Feel lucky that you only have a 25 gallon fuel tank as the Increase in Gas prices gives me a "pucker factor" of about "10" When I go to fuel my Grady White and it has nearly a 90 Gallon fuel Tank, It is rather Painful to watch the Dollar meter Climb but I guess we have to pay to play!! I too get about 3 miles to the Gallon with my Yamaha 225, But that is also not counting My trolling motor Running Practicly all day Drawing on the same tank day in and day out. He is right about the Question of how big is your fuel Tank Because if it is a 6 gallon that's about right.
My .02 cent's
JARED JOHNSON SHASTA TACKLE CO.
[signature]
You might check too see if the prop you are running will give you the best of both worlds - performance & gas mileage.

It has been a few years back but I think I was running a 22 degree prop and changed to a 19 degree prop and got much better performance and handling.

Just my 2 cents.....
[signature]
or you could go to a stainless steel,better performance and fuel mileage.just my nickels worth.
[signature]
I think everyone has thrown in some good thoughts. I as did rich discover the amount of oild that i went through was more than I fgured last year at powell. I think the big thing is to once I get up on a plane, I back off and slow down to about 28-30 mph when I am going fish or coming back to the house boat. Enjoy the view and look around. It takes me a little longer to get to where I am going, I found also that I can see more potentual fishing areas by slowing down and studying the shore line better. The pitch of your prop will make a big diffrence. Going to a stainless prop will take out that wobble from a cheaper one give you better performance and milage. The main thing would be to back of that hole shot slowly come up to your plane and then go.

Just my 2bits worth,

RILEY
[signature]