Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tooning Strawberry
Finally made it up to Strawberry on the Toon kick boat. Nice day yesterday with no wind in the morning. I got a couple of hits and one nice fish right off at 7:30am at East Portal. I thought it was going to be a killer day. I was using the a black bugger and a rusty red bugger off a dropper. All they took was the black. Was kind of slow for the rest of the morning. Boated, released about 7 cuts and one small rainbow. Nice to see a small one. Some of the planters survived. The cuts are so big now, the DWR has to plant 12 inchers to even make it.

In the afternoon, we headed over to Aspen Grove and that was better. The fish still wanted the black bugger. I boated about 15 or more in the evening. Caught one hog that was 22 but really fat for a cut. That's the first time I have fished there.

I saw a lot of surface feeding going on and could not figure out what they wanted on the surface. The damsels were not coming off. It looked like a mayfly hatch. The fish were in tight all day. Most of the active feeding fish were in about 8-10 feet of water. Caught a few in 15 ft. but mostly shallow. Not red hot but not bad for a day at the Berry. Where else can you go and catch fish like that?? Amazing!!!
[signature]