Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard with a youngster ... 7/18/06
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]I had the opportunity to fish Willard last evening with a 13 year old FFA student (Future Fishermen of America). Dakota, the grandson of one of my co-workers, had never caught a wiper. So at 5:30 we launched at the South marina. Fishing was looking to be a bit slow when SLAM ... his first nice wiper out near the island. He got it up withing 10 feet of the boat it came unbuttoned.

[inline Bendo-400.gif]

The next two wipers found their way into the boat.

[inline "First Wiper 400.gif"]

By that time we were out in the middle when all hell broke loose ... 30 mph wind from the South. With life vests on and crouched low in the 14 foot tin bin we headed into the wind. Several times we went into waves that sent the boat 100% air born! Right about the time we came into the safety of the south shore, the wind stopped. So, out fishing we went again. We didn't catch any more wipers but Dakota did manage a dinner sized cat fish. He was happy about that too.

He caught all three wipers on the old familiar Producer and the cat came in on a Lucky Craft Pointer 78 in shad pattern.

On our way in through the channel, we watched a couple boats having a great time pulling in wipers on top watter.

We never seen any "boils" and we caught all of ours on the troll.

I enjoyed fishing with ya Dakota ... hope to again soon![/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like Dakota must have enjoyed himself. I'll bet he was a little nervous about all the rockin' and knockin'! It can be spooky out there in the bad weather.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Coot ole buddy, you are the best teacher that I know, and I hope that you continue on with it.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Coot: I think because you love fishing Willard for wipers so much, we better up-grade your next boat to an Ocean liner for the "Windy Willard Winds" Just reading your post brings back my own memories, [unsure] That Bay will eat a tin-bin alive!.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] Glad you did boat some! Good on Ya!![/size][/font]
[signature]
Glad to see you had a better catching trip than in the morning. Looks like you have hooked another youngster into the fishing life style, and he will probably always remember who took him on his first trip out. Glad to see that you had some luck on the old reliable lure.
[signature]
[angelic] Nice Report Ralph. There will always be a place in heaven for guys like you!
[signature]
Hey Old Coot....how are the bugs out there during the evening hours now??? Got my boat slipped at the north marina while my trailer is being stripped and painted.Looks like I might have to slay some wipers after work.Let me know???
[signature]