Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Rod recommendations again
Ok, I've posted a couple of times about this and have done some shopping based on recommendations. I hope I'm not belaboring this subject but I hope it's beneficial to others besides me.
I'm looking for a warm water fishing rod (probably 6 1/2' ) that will predominately be used on bass and other warm water spicies using smaller plastics, etc., from a tube, catching 99% under 3#. with an occasional bigger stripper, kittie, etc.
You guys have recommended Repala, Loomis, Ugly Stick, St. Croix Premier/Avid, Fenwick (HMX/HMG). Shimano (Clarus/Compre).
This is where I am. Ugly stick is the most economical but I would have to go to a med. power and not sure I want to, the light is just too floppy. I have found the Shimano Clarus u/l. Fenwick HMX ML power and the St. Croix MLF(Triumph) in very close price ranges. I haven't found the Shimmano ML yet and have not ruled it out The reason I'm mentioning these is because I'm leaning to the ML action because of the type of fishong I do. I haven't found many Repalas yet at all.
You notice I listed a St. Croix Triumph! Is this comparable to the others for quality, etc, It was recommended I buy Premier but the are $40 more! Anyone familiar with the Triumph and whether it's competitive with the Fenwick and Shimano in the same price range?
Any comments or other suggestions? I guess when you get int type of feel and actions that is another discussion/personal preference but feel free to comment.
Leaky
[signature]
I own several Cabela's Fish Eagle II spinning and baitcasting rods in weights/actions from ML to M to MH and lengths from 5'6" to 6'6". I love 'em. They retail for around $79.99 but Cabela's frequently has them on sale for $59.99. I think they're a great value - light wt., nice action, and great Cabela's warranty (replacement of 1 of mine that I broke - no cost, no questions asked).
[signature]
Leaky,

The general rule with fishing rods is this....

The more you pay, the lighter, stronger, and more sensitive the rod will be. It will have better components and will likely have a better warranty. Buy the best you can afford, but one must not break the bank either to get a decent rod with good performance.

The Triumph series is a new line of budget-priced rods from St Croix. It appears that they are built on the same blanks (SCII graphite) as the Premier series rods. The main differences I can see is that the Triumph line probably has lesser (but still decent) components than the Premier series. Also, the Triumphs cost less because they are made in Asia as opposed to the U.S. They both have the same warranty (5 years). I have not handled these much and have never fished the Triumphs. That said.... St Croix makes excellent products and would not allow crap to be sold with their name on it. Most likely, these Triumph rods are similar in price and performance as Shimano's Clarus line and Fenwick's HMX. Likewise, the Premiers are similar to the Shimano Compres and Fenwick's HMG series. The Convergence series of rods by Shimano is a step below the Clarus line. The Convergences are less refined than the Claruses, but a decent rod for the money.

The Rapala rods are decent budget rods. They feel pretty good in the hand. I have yet to fish them unfortunately. I think they'd work for you, especially the "pricier" models. But I'd stick with the other brands if I could help it because of their proven track records. Not sure about their durability, but probably okay. Normark/Rapala products are generally good for the moeny.

All of the above mentioned rods can be found at Sportsman's Warehouse. They also have a set of rods under the S-W logo that are made by, I think, South Bend. Green IM-6 blanks, nice cork and Fuji guides and seats. I forgot to mention a great replacement warranty as well. They are very affordable. Give them a look-see!!!!
Kevin
[signature]
[reply]
I'm looking for a warm water fishing rod (probably 6 1/2' ) that will predominately be used on bass and other warm water spicies using smaller plastics, etc., from a tube, catching 99% under 3#. with an occasional bigger stripper, kittie, etc.[/reply]

How big do you like your "strippers" Fred? [Wink]
[signature]
What you want.... Is not avable in a cheap rod .....

I use Lamiglass rods they run around $150 and the drop shot rod is great for what you are wanting to do, And they have a life time warrant on them...

I have used mine for two years now and its the best I have found...
[signature]
I have a G Loomis SJR 720 and LOVE it. It is 6' and has a 4-8 lb rating. It is a great bass rod and also works on the catfish and crappie as well. Cost is about $130 and is worth every peeny.

Wood Shampoo
[signature]
Leaky,

I forgot about Lamiglas. They are also good stuff. I ended up buying a 7' Medium action Shimano Compre rod ($99) today with a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel ($79). I will be using this rig primarily for bass, but pretty much anything else too! This rod will be good for throwing most of the finesse lures such as tubes, dropshot, mini-worms, jigs, etc.
[signature]
I have ordered my walleye rod from these folks - Great investment!!

[url "http://www.thcustomrods.com/"]http://www.thcustomrods.com/[/url]

It is worth an email or call and talk to them and tell them what you are looking for and they can give you all your options and pricing.

Family run and Customer Satisfaction is A+.

Get a rod that will last you a lifetime!!!
[signature]
I have a 7 ft. Fenwick 1-piece rod that retails for 50.00.
PM me and I will cut you a great deal for it since I never use it.
[signature]