Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARCHERY DEER (opening weekend)
well my hunt didnt go as planed i went where i have been stalking deer at got up the mountain at about 5:45 and waited then about 15 other trucks came i never seen so many hunters in one place i think the deer hear us comeing i didnt even see a doe and 2 days before deer was every where so my new plan is one day this week im going up millcreek i heard of a few bucks up there from my buddy
[signature]
That is horrible news![mad][mad][mad] Good luck this week.
[signature]
That's too bad. Amazing how that seems to happen, though. Everyone comes out for opening weekend. If all else fails, go back in a week or two and try again.
The Millcreek's a hard hunt. I never managed a buck hunting it in November. A doe, but no buck. It's thick, steep, and a royal pain to hunt, but I did see some big tracks in the snow. Good luck!
[signature]
Ive never hunted mill creek maybey its a bad idea i just thought there because it would be close to drive on a weekday or somewhere like big or little cottonwood canyon but thats steep too
[signature]
O HOW IVE BEEN THERE... ONE YR I WATCHED 18 BUCKS IN A BACHALOR HERD FOR 3 WEEK ENDS THEN FOR 3 DAYS BEFORE THE HUNT. HAD THEIR WHOLE RUTINE DOWN RIGHT TO WHERE THEY EACH DAY BEDDED. OPENING MOURING WE WERE ON THEM IN OUR CHOSEN SPOTS. AT FIRST LIGHT HERE THEY CAME UP THE RIDGE TO THEIR BEDDING AREA AND HERE COMES UP THE ROAD THE OLDEST MOST RATLE TRAP OF A TRUCK. BEFORE THE TRUCK EVER REACHED THE PARK MEDDOW THE BUCKS TURNED AND HEADED FOR PLACES UNNOWN. I FEAL YR PAIN. THE BEST ADVICE IS HUNT MID WEEK. SHHHH. OR BACK PACK TO REMOTER SPOTS FOR BETTER HUNTING.
[signature]
That's too bad. Hopefully after a few weeks the pressure will go down and the deer will come out. [Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks for the info im going to try to hike up some where on the wasatch i was told up over guardsmans pass is good but i dont know i have private property in ashley national forrest just north of the book cliifs that im going down to this weekend for four days it just didnt work out on the opener i had to work sunday afternoon and monday
[signature]
No luck for me either[unsure] But did start seeing much more deer the last 2 days[Smile] I'll be back up their this weekend to try again! this time try more stalking instead of all stand hunting.
[signature]
none for me either, I guess 240\250 feet per second arrow flight isn't fast enough. that was a lucky, but fast little 2 point. maybe in a few weeks I hit it again. later chuck
[signature]
I am a rifle guy, but every year I go with my buddy on the Wasatch extended archery hunt. I guess he makes it look easy and in Millcreek Canyon too!
[signature]
Does your buddy wait for the snow to fly or does he hunt it right away
[signature]
He usually does alot of scouting first. Then sets up tree stands! It also helps he works for the forest service that requires him to spend alot of time in Millcreek, Lambs, Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon hiking. He scouts and watches deer patterns. He is majorly frustrated with the elk though.
[signature]
sounds like he has it maid working for the forrest service i ran into some good elk this weekend im thinking about getting an elk tag
[signature]
when you jump in, you jump in. lol. elk is the most fun of all animals to chase with stick and string. nothing compares to bugeling bulls up close and personal. its just the rush when one screams back to a call and then comes running. the sceams in the dark as i wank in hooks me like a rainbow on power bait. rifles are for filling frezers. bow and arrowes are for people who like the chase moore than a kill.
[signature]
No surprises there. I know I could have gotten a buck if I scouted a little more. Like I said, some big tracks up in there, and there's no doubt there's a lot of deer. Just no time to really hunt it.
[signature]
Without divulging any honey holes, where did you run into the elk at? You can send me a pm if you like.

Thanks.
[signature]