Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold temps
I just got my toon and was wondering if there was any issues to consider while flloating in colder water temps.

I know I will need to adjust air pressure for altitude and I would think that I would need to adjust for temp as well. Both air temperature and water temperature. In my case I will probably balance out...higher altitude and lower temp.

Whats the rule of thumb on this?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is no exact formula...like baking a cake at higher altitudes. It is mostly a matter of observation and personal preference.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First of all, you should always transport your toon minus some of the air...especially in warm weather. That prevents overheating and seam damage. In colder weather the temp is not a problem. However, going from lower altitude to higher altitude might make a significant difference. I usually transport my tubes at least 50% deflated, inside my vehicle, so I have never had a chance to observe the difference in a fully inflated craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you have the toon unloaded and are preparing to launch, air it up to a good firm state and then let it sit for awhile in the ambient temperature while you get other things ready. Check it for sagging if the air is cold and top it off before launching if it has shrunk in the cold. If the water temp is going to be colder than the air temp, you might give it a couple of extra pumps to counteract that. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the sun comes up and gets warm later, you may notice your air chambers becoming extra firm. Release a bit of air if you are concerned. Only on the hottest days will it really matter much.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have room to stash a small pump, you might wanna carry it out with you on your first few trips, just until you get a feel for how your new craft behaves in changing temps and altitudes. You want your air chambers to remain rigid, with good firm floatation, but not so tight that a bullet would bounce off. You also don't want the air chambers to sag visibly at all. By the time you see that you might have a real problem.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the big blue pond, if your toon stays firm in the morning cold, you shouldn't have to worry about it shrinking more while on the water...at least at this time of the year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Dude...

Look out whitefish we are goin after ya!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah. Right now the weather forecast for Thurs, Fri, Sat of next week shows mid twenties for the lows and mid forties for the highs...and no rain or snow. Heck, that's tropical for Bear Lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We will be making reservations the first of the week and will let you know our plans. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let the mini floatilla begin.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I have an extra Fish Cat float tube if you would like me to bring it for number one son. Also got waders, fins and all that if he needs them. Just let me know what sizes he wears and we can suit him up.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would have to get him out of bed........13 year olds like sleep! LOL

I will let you know, thanks!
[signature]