Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading to Srawberry on sat
[unsure] [blue][size 2]Heading to Strawberry on saturday. Will be taking greenhorns out on their first 1st ice fishin' experience. There is a good chance we have snow machines, so we will able to get around. Anybody been up there lately? Where is the hot spots? thanks...[cool][/size][/blue]
[signature]
[Wink]I'll wave as I go by Saturday on my way to Logan. My girlfriend has some business up there so we thought we'll make a day of it and drive up by the Bear. I know it's not much help, but this is from good ol' Doug Miller last Saturday. Of course, let us all know how you do.

Strawberry Reservoir has been decent this week for a few Rainbows and some nice Cutts. Remember, all Cutthroat between 15 and 22 inches must be released. Some of the best action has been in the back of Bryants Fork for Cutts and below the Narrows on the Soldier Creek side just where the lake starts to open up for Rainbows. One other tip, once the sun hits the water, try moving to deeper water and fish suspended at 15-to-20 feet under the ice.
[signature]
Well, I will be out there Saturday myself for the first time this year (isn't that Sad?). I will also be taking a bunch of first timers.....my local scout group. I have been talking about this for a few weeks now and it's finally going to happen. I will also have 2 snowmobiles headed out there and would love to find an area that we can snowmobile to and give these scouts a good time.

Any reports on ice conditions, snow conditions, slush layer, unsafe areas, etc, etc would be appreciated as much as reports on what bait / lures are working.

And if you see us out there, give a friendly "howdy". Hey, I'd even be willing to drill your holes for you in exchange for some tips on giving these boys a good fishing experience. (with the gas auger of course). Smile

On that note, I'm really tempted to have those kids take out the hand auger and tell them to start drilling their holes. Then when I finish shuttling everyone out there I'll bring the gas one out with me. Hmmmmm........heh.
[signature]
[Wink] [blue][size 2]first timers always has to drill their own hole with a hand auger. The rite of passage you know.[cool] [/size][/blue]
[signature]
Well, it looks like the Saturday trip (tomorrow) is a go. Some of the scouts chickened out, though. We are heading out there with 4 scouts and 4 leaders. Smile

I will be taking along 2 snowmobiles, so I will have to make a couple of trips to get everyone out there, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Any final input on where on the lake I can take these scouts to show them a good time fishing would be greatly appreciated. I am open to just about anywhere on the lake as long as we can catch some fish.

Also, does anyone know the current ice / slush conditions? I know a couple of weeks ago someone reported that there wasn't any slush at all, but with these latest storms I'm guessing the snow on top of the ice has probably pushed the ice down a bit. Are there any unsafe parts of the lake to avoid? I really don't want to take my sled fow a swim.

If I don't hear anything back on this I will probably just drag them across to Haws Point, an easy scoot from the marina parking lot.

Thanks again for your input!!!! And for those of you heading out there this weekend, I will probably be in a maroon suburban dragging a trailer with my 2 snowmobiles, a sled, and one of those big ice fishing shacks. Come say a friendly 'howdy'. (I can also easily be convinced to drill a few holes for you with the power auger)
[signature]
I went up to the berry about a week ago, we took the sleds over to renegade, went straight out from the boat ramp in about 25-35 feet of water. We began fishing about 7:30 in the morning, I used a #6 green rat finky with a kastmaster about 14" above as an attractor, tipped with meal worms. My buddy used white tube jugs with night crawlers, and we both did very well. We pulled out 6 nice cuts 17-22 inches, and 5 bows. The fishing slowed way down about 11:00.
Good luck!
[signature]
I was up there last Saturday Night (night fishing). Caught 5. We headed straight out from the Marina Boat Ramp and went almost to the shoreline on the other side and fished in 30 feet of water. The ice was 15 inches thick. Good luck and be sure to report back.
[signature]
Are you talking heading to the shoreline straight to the South (Haw's point) or heading clear across to the East (that would be a mighty long hike!)

Thanks!!
[signature]
[blush] [#008080][size 2]REPORT: 3/1 we got to east chicken creek about 1:30pm. Blue skies with patchy clouds, we were in t-shirts at our first spot. 15-18" of ice, 0 to 4" or more of water, and 12" inches of freshy(snow). Between 6 of us, we caught seven fish. Oh well, I got to ride on a snowmobile. The cool part was it stay light to about 6:45. Next time, we need to start earlier so we can cover more lake. [/size][/#008080]
[signature]
Sounds like you did better than I did with the scouts.

We ended up heading out to Haw's Point. It was snowing fairly heavily when we got there (about 9:00am) so I didn't want to take them out too far. We actually drove up there through Provo canyon in near white-out conditions, could barely tell where we were supposed to be on the road and had the 4x4 locked in.

About mid-day the sky cleared and turned beautiful for the rest of the day.

We had 10 of us out there trying several different set-ups and depths with only a few fish showing on the finder. One fish was caught about 10' deep over 60' of water on a glow tube jig.

Through the rest of the day, we only had a handful of bites. None of the scouts caught anything (couldn't keep them watching their poles for long enough to see the bites). I caught one 17' cutt right at the bottom in 20' of water, probably about 1' off the bottom. Had another bite later in the same spot, but I was off helping one of the scouts and couldn't get to my pole in time. I was using a small glow tube jig tipped with one of those super glittery marshmallow shaped powerbait things. Those often work quite well ice fishing.

In all we brought in a total of 2 fish. A very slow day. But it still beat spending the day sitting at home. Even when it was snowing it was comfortable as there wasn't any wind all day long.

As for ice conditions....probably around 20" of ice where we were. Slush layer was almost non-existant, but there was some slush closer to the middle of the bay there. Probably about 6-8" of snow on top.
[signature]