Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muzzleloaders
I'm in the market for a new muzzleloader. At this point I am a little partial towards the TC Encore line. What brand / model, cal. do you use and why? What do you like and/or dislike about it. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I don't know too much about the new guns but would recommend going with the 50 cal. I have a TC Hawken 54 cal which I love but in todays market of sabots the 50 cal is king. The 50 cal sabots can bring down just about anything with great power and penetration. Every major load comes in 50 but not always the 54. Even when it does come in 54 cal it usualy just has more plastic around the bullet.
[signature]
The wife and I both shoot the Thompson Omega in .50 cal. They are good accurate shooting guns. I shoot open sights and she has a Thompson 1X scope on hers. In the 2 years I have used mine in Wy. I have taken 0ne Whitetail buck and missed my buck this year with it (my fault) pretty hard to get a folllow up shot in the river bottoms we hunt even with my Model 70. I think Thompson makes a good product, but I'm sure you know there are many excellent brands out there.[cool]
[signature]
I had the same dilema last year and ended up buying a TC Omega. I put a Tru-Glo red dot scope on it and took it to the range. The first shot was almost perfect! I took a couple more shots and was surprized at how accurate I was shooting. The gun is very well balanced for free hand shots and has little recoil. I took it out last year for the deer hunt and dropped my first deer deer with it. The shot was 130 yards out and the buck didn't take a step. I love this gun and I'm glad I went with it. Another good gun is the "White" Muzzleloader manufactered here in Utah. They are a little pricey but very nice. My friend took a nice buck and a nice bull last year with his. The only problem is they don't use the 209 shotgun primer. I would definetly go with the TC line because of the 209 primer, it's the ultimate in reliability. Good luck with your decision.
Hookjaw
[signature]
Hey Chad,

I have the Remington 700mz. Its a .50 cal. I have open sights in the glow. Have shot alot of rounds throught it. I had the barrell lapped, and that helped. IT is very accurate with the inline. I am thinking of going over and try the 209 primer system in it. I am happy with mine.

RILEY
[signature]
what load do you guys shoot out of the omega's? i bought one last year and have yet to fine tune it. i'll probably be going to colorado to hunt, so i need to shoot loose powder and no sabots-- just curious, could save me some time and money expirementing.
[signature]
I shoot Barnes mz 250 grain sabots with 100 grains of pyrodex
[signature]
We shoot 245 grain Powerbelts with 100 grains of Triple 7.[cool]
[signature]

I'm a traditionalist... have 8 "smokepoles" from 45 cal Kentucky to 54 cal Planes rifle (with a 12 ga shotgun and others thrown in).
I hunt deer each year with one or the other and have never been disappointed.

Muzzleloading was meant to be a "primitive weapon" season and as the "modern" loaders continue to evolve they are quickly approaching stats of smoleless centerfire rifles. Not placing judgment on users but to my "aged" way of thinking they're just not right and I can't see myself purchasing one...[crazy]

Perhaps my coonskin caps on too tight...PB
[signature]
Check the archives for a post in early september. There was alot of hits on that post about the very same stuff. I can't ever figure out how to do the link stuff but it should be easy to find.
[signature]
MacMan, I shoot a TC Blackdiamond for the past 6 years and it took me a long time to dial in a good load. I shot about 200 rounds before I got my favorite load and it is 100grains ,2 pellets of pyrodex and 300gr Barnes mz or the 295gr powerbelt both group very good. I tried the 240s-250s grains and they just didnt do it for me!!M.H.
[signature]
thanks for the help, when the weather warms i'll at least have a good starting point.
hey papa, i agree with you- i loved hunting with my old hawkin, but i hunt, and i have to take advantage of every little thing i can to make the cleanest kill and make the best of what are turning out to be once in a lifetime hunts (when and IF i draw). but i do miss the ole patch and ball.
[signature]
I've had the remington ml700 for a few years and I like it. the cleaning isn't as easy as some of the new guns but it's not too bad. I just bought a new Omega last season but never got it dialed in how I wanted it before the season so I used the rem last year.
In my rem I use 300 gr Hornady sst w/ 100 gr loose 777 powder.
In the Omega I'm trying the American Pioneer powder and the 250 gr Hornady/ Thompson bullets with the yellow sabots. I have not shot this combo yet but I'm readdy to hit the range with them. The Omega didn't lke the same setup as the Remington, so I'm experimenting.
[signature]
hey elk, you have the exact story i have. in my 700 i shot two pellets w/ a 245 power belt. when i bought the omega last year and shot it once, i shot the same powder as you (on a recommendation from the cabelas salesman) and powerbelt 245's. the gun shot totally erratic, i was all over the paper at 25 yds. i didn't have the best of shooting conditions, just wanted to shoot the new gun, but i'm not totally sure about that powder- i may go back to pyrodex.
[signature]
So far I am Undecided on the AP powder. I was quite surprised at how large the granules are on the FFG compared to the 777 FFG. The powder seems to be clean burning like they say but, the black sabots I was using didn't load too easy. I have heard this is a common problem with the Hornady Sabots and the Omega's. I bought 3 boxes of the Shock waves with yellow sabots (walmart clearance they were $7.00) but I have yet to shoot them. Let me know if you find a sweet load.
[signature]
Chad, Would the new muzzleloader rules in Idaho influence your decision. From what I am reading it sounds like several states are considering new muzzleloader rules. It seems to me that there is a lot of folks out there who would like to back up a few years. I am not a muzzleloader and don't pretend to know anything about it but it seems there are two schools of thought. The true primitive weapons guys seem to have the ear of the folks who make the rules.
[signature]
Don, It seems like I did here something about the Idaho restrictions. I guess the big difference there is the ignition system right? 209 vs. flink lock? Anybody in the know about these restrictions? It would be nice to know before going out and buying a new muzzleloader.
[signature]