Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New Ride
I'm sure you've all seen the Water Skeeter Pontoons and Water Skeet Tubes. They do look kind of nice and lightweight. They fit inside of backpacks and all the at stuff.

Well, I just go back from the Fred Hall Show and brought back a little something to play with.

[url "http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/75958-99,75958,True_Water-Skeeter-Day-Tripper-Pontube-Fins-and-Pump.html?name=ASST&product=Water+Skeeter+Day+Tripper+Pontube%2c+Fins+and+Pump&isDefaultDept=True"][Image: 75958_99?wid=178&hei=178&amp...iccEmbed=0][/url]

This is not a good pic of it, nor is it my picture from my camera. But this is the PonTube as the call it. It can be used as a tube by itself or in combination with the pontune. It is 5 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall.

I think this would be a nicer saltwater craft appropriate for chasing down those pesk Yellow Tails.

I will be tricking it out soon and will get some pics up of it. It already has just the pocket space that I need for a few jigs, leadheads, plastics and Shrimp flies. It even has a beverage holder. (censored for the purpose of younger audiences.)

There are extra pockets for the DVD player and extra movies.[Smile]

I can't wait to get the Maiden Voyage under way. I may even give this one a name. I heard of another member on UT tubing section that gave his tube a name.

He called it Whislers Mother. I won't mention any names but many of you know him.

Since this will be primarily a salt craft, I decided to call it the Yellow Tail. I don't have to worry about tubing in the wind on the ocean. The breeze is usually coming from off shore and makes it impossible to get out anyways. (no safety problems there)

Stay tuned and I should have something put together soon.[cool]
[signature]
That's an interesting looking tube/toon cross. I'll look forward to your report after the maiden voyage.

The website says it has a 400 pound capacity. That sounds nice.

[cool]I'm starting to like yellow.

z~
[signature]
I also look forward to hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly after you try it out. After reading your post, I immediately started researching the tube and have found both good and not-so-good reviews. The best reviews I found came from a heavier-set guy on [url "http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=512597"]this website[/url]. He says it's a great ride for a great price as long as you've got the substantial-ness needed to balance out its height (the scanty, i.e. those under 225#s, need not apply--no problems here! [cool]).

I'm trying to decide which craft to upgrade to from a Uboat 2000. This one looks like it might be a good contender, but I'm also kinda leaning toward the ODC 420. Can't quite fork out enough for a SFC or H3 at present, so I've gotta find a good stepping stone under the $200 range. Thanks for letting us in on your new-found fun! Haven't been able to get out myself lately, so I have to live vicariously through all you other BFTers! Hopefully my day will come soon. Look forward to the report and to the tricked-out pics!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That looks a lot like their "Daytripper". That model is incredibly unstable and impossible to control in the breeze.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope your new toy is better.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks interesting! Cant wait to see how it goes!
[signature]
[black][size 3]I was going to say the same thing about the daytripper. I did have a daytripper and well.....it wasn't right for me. You do get blown all over the place.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Poky bought one and he is okay with it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]After reading several reviews, I will agree that if you are over 250lbs, this is a tube worth looking at.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I am no where near that so, but I do have another friend who is and he swears by it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I do think if he had a chance to try the H3 he would love that much more.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]TubeN2, I think you will like it because of your size, but wanna hear more reports.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I hated the feeling when I leaned forward (felt like it was going to flip) plus the cross bar was a pain to clip (but I am a woos[laugh]) and I had to kick like crazy if there was any kind of a breeze.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Plus I am use to setting my rod to the side to land a fish (Fat Cat Thing), but you can't on that tube cause there is nothing there.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I'm no light weight but I am not 400lbs either. I think I can use the extra weight capacity for the larger freezer that I plan to install.

I am getting ready to get it all tricked out. After seeing FlyfishingGoddess idea with the battery behind the seat, it really gave me a good idea.

I could put my battery/solar panel/inflation compensator, behind the seat and have room for extra DVDs.[cool]
[signature]
I under stand the breeze situation. I mentioned in my previous post about the offshore breeze and how much they suck. They prevent the tuber from getting out in the first place. Therefore, no safety hazzard if you are stuck on the beach.[cool]

Only at Castaic will I go out when there is a breeze. At least the breeze blows you back to the landing.[Wink]
[signature]
The one TN2 Has looks different than mine I use mine on the small uinta lakes which is why I got it and its great for that. and if you don't have strong legs then you might want to concider selling it cause on the windy days it will go. but then again I'm not as old as my fishin partners.
[signature]
If I'd known you were looking at them I'd have blown mine up and let you check it out when we went fishin. thats the one I brought to Cal withe me
[signature]
Well, now you can bring it back and we can have us a race across the lake. I bet that tube would be awesome to get some of those 150lb Sturgeon that they have in that lake.[cool]
[signature]
Before I bought the toon I bought the Day Tripper. Found it to be unstable and that the straps came loose (not quite acurate discription). They actually streached after getting wet. I used it twice and returned it to Garts where I had bought it. It may be better suited for offshore than UL or the Berry. They also may have made some improvements in it since then (about year and a half ago). Tries the H3 just before ice up at DC and will be getting one soon. Should have kept it but couldn't afford just before the holidays. Hope ya have better luck than I did and I will be looking forward to your post.
[signature]
I'm planning on getting everything ready this next weekend. I finally got my camera situation straightened out so I will have pics to share too.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
Well, now you can bring it back and we can have us a race across the lake. I bet that tube would be awesome to get some of those 150lb Sturgeon that they have in that lake.[cool] [/reply]
Yup whatever you say there I can go for 2 trips and no fish any day just need the company and drinks
[signature]
I'm testing some new streamers at my Honey Lake. That would be a good place to race. That is the lake that I told you about that is 1/2 hour from my house. It is near Magic Mountain.

There are some good LMB there. Do you have a good 10 or 11wt on ya??
[signature]
I bought one of the day trippers awhile back and for a float tube, I really enjoyed it.
I have switched to a poontoon boat since, but I still have kept the tube.
It is great for putting in the back and taking along. I liked sitting up out of the water a bit. The wind did push me around more than some of the others.
I actually felt more secure in the tube than I do in the toon, but the toon can cover more ground faster.

I hope you enjoy your new ride.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Just, had to let you know....been there, done that[laugh] Only because of the name on the side of mine, thank God for employee discount.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I still think this is more suited for the BIG boys, I didn't care for it at all and I find I sit just as high in my H3 without the wind resistance being such an issue.[Wink][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[inline "waterskeeter 1 500.jpg"]
[signature]
Hey Flygoddess is that a Yankees cap you are wearing? If so[Smile][Smile][Smile] Nice ride tubeN2
[signature]
Nice looking ride. I bought mine soley for the purpose of non windy conditions in the salt. Otherwise I have to resort to my FC4. I need to get me a flyrod holder or just make one. I like the one you have that allows the rod to lay at an angle.

Mine usually stands straigh up unless I use my horizontal rack.[cool]
[signature]
Mine is exactly the same as that one. Only difference is that it is full Banana just like the picture above.[cool]
[signature]