Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
joining Braided & Monofilament Leader
[Smile] what is your experience with joining braided line to a 20# or 30# test monfilament leader. Does it work okay, or do the tend to always slip apart?
[signature]
To join braided to Mono, you should use the San Diego knot. It is just like the Stren knot except you will use 20 wraps instead of 11.

Here is the Stren knot. You just need to add a few more wraps to it. I use this knot all the time and have never had it slip.[cool]

[Image: two_knots_stren_1.jpg]
Step One Overlap approximately 12 inches of the two lines. Take the tag end of the leader (A) and form a circle. [Image: two_knots_stren_2.jpg]
Step Two Wrap the leader two to six times around both the main line and leader, passing inside the loop on each wrap. This forms a uni knot. (Note: For four- through 20-pound mono, take six wraps. For 25- through 40-pound mono, take four to five wraps. For 50- through 80-pound mono, take three to four wraps. For 100-pound mono and above, take two to three wraps. If using a leader above 200-pound test, only one wrap is necessary.) [Image: two_knots_stren_3.jpg]
Step Three Cinch down the knot by pulling on both ends of the leader. [Image: two_knots_stren_4.jpg]
Step Four Form an improved clinch knot in the main line by wrapping it seven to 11 times around the leader (braids require ten to 12 turns), then passing the tag end through the opening at the base of the uni knot and back through the large loop. [Image: two_knots_stren_5.jpg]
Step Five Tighten the wraps of line while holding the tag end and standing section, making sure the wraps form a tight spiral with no overlaps. Slide them against the uni knot, jamming them together. Trim the excess tags. [Image: two_knots_stren_6.jpg]
Step Six The finished Stren knot.
[signature]
TubeN2 gave you the perfect knot for attaching leader to braid. That is exactly what I use.

I've tried the Double Uni knot in the past, and it works great for lines that have the same diameter. But when you're joining a thicker leader to a smaller main line (or vise versa), the double uni knot is very uneffective. The Stren knot allows you to attach lines of any diameter or type.

I've never tried the variation that tuben2 was speaking of, but just the plain old stren knot has worked well for me. In the occasion I attach my main line right to the fluorocarbon with out a swivel, I always use the stren knot. [cool]
[signature]
Tube and Tarpon:

Thanks bigtime. I really respect what you guys know.
[signature]
[blush] Awe shucks..................

It's nothing bro. We're all here to help out. Thanks for the kind words. [Smile]
[signature]
You are most welcome. We are just trying to help.

A wise man told me once: You will never realize your wisdom or knowledge until you have shared it with the right person.[cool]
[signature]
I love that knot to death. "IF and when I use a swivel, it is only the SPRO heavy duty swivels. They are small and thin. I can use the Trilene knot to tie the line on them without a problem.
[signature]
Hey, you copying me? LOL [Tongue] You already know that spro swivels are all I use too. [cool] Great minds do think alike.

What version of the trilene knot do you use?
[signature]
twice through the hole, 6 wraps and back through the "2" new loops.
[center] [/center] [center][Image: trileneR7.jpg][/center][Image: trileneR10.jpg]

Good for fresh and salt. It also enhances the effects of the Kahle, Circles, and Octopus hooks. Sometimes I will still use the Snell knot on the Octopus though because of the way the eyelet is bent.[cool]
[signature]
Okay, just so you all know, I successfully tied the San Diego Knot, and joined some braid and mono. The mono was 17# stren, joined to 20# braid. It was not to difficult. I had been using the Surgeon's Knot, but this is great. The official studies say the San Diego Knot gives 95% of the parent line's strength.
[signature]
Yes sir, that's the same exact way I tie it. I'll use that knot sometimes too. [cool]
[signature]
It is strange that after going through many knot designs in life, we come up with the same opinion and trust on similar knots.[cool]
[signature]
You know, it might not be as strange as you think. Consider this. You know the types of fish I target and you've seen pictures of my boats and equipment. You know that the conditions I fish in, the fish I target, and the equipment and tactics I use is very similar and identicle in many cases as yours. It makes sense that we would find a happy medium somewhere in the center of those test cases. I'm sure there are plenty more anglers that share those likenesses. I like simple and effective, and so do you. [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I love Fly Fishing! [cool] We have braided leaders, but even better, FURLED leaders. I make my own furled putting a shorb loop in the end. That with the loop in the fly line. You do the hand shake loop to loop. Then take 3' to 6' of tippet/ mono/ flouro and put a perfection loop in the end, attach that to the Furled, tie fly on and you are good to go.[laugh][/size][/black]
[signature]
Hey Flygoddess, when you say "the loop to loop handshake," do you mean just taking one loop, sticking the head through the other, and passing the tail through the eye? I'm not sure that even makes sense, what I just typed that is. LOL
[signature]
Sounds right!
[signature]
[cool] Thanks for the clarification.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Almost looks like a blood knot tubeN2 except bloods are used to join lines of similar diameters.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][cool][green][size 3]Almost looks like a blood knot tubeN2 except bloods are used to join lines of similar diameters.[/size][/green]
[green][size 3][/size][/green]
[/size][/black]

[black][size 3]DR it is a Blood or a Barrel knot. I use it to make my own tapered leader. Even have a little stand for it. They don't have to be the same size of material, otherwise I wouldn't be making a taper[laugh].[/size][/black]
[size 3]However, I do the same amount of twist on each side.[/size]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Here is the difference between a blood & a stren.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]A blood & a barrel is the same knot.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22762;][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22763;][/center]
[signature]