Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Buck for the Buck
I would like to know how many people out there have shot a nice $40 general season buck. No private property, no guides, no special cicumstances. Just hard hunting dedicated guys that have worked their butts off scouting and looking for a good buck on public land.
Please post your pics and stories.
Hookjaw
[signature]
[unsure] Wish I could add to this one but I cant, I have seen some nice bucks during the rifle elk, But thats the way my luck goes.
[signature]
I HAVE.[sly] I HUNT THE HIGH UINTAS.
[signature]

Here are the 3 public land bucks I have on my wall.

[inline CVbuck.jpg]
[inline 2003.jpg]
[inline deer.jpg]
[signature]
hey chad when did you have a beard???[cool]
[signature]
A nice symetrical 4x4 with guards. About 22 or 23" wide and tall. No big deer for me yet.
[signature]
My 2007 Muzzeloader Buck[Smile]
I found this buck in August and named him "sleepy" because he fell asleep while I was watching him. I watched him all summer only to have him disapear during the archery hunt. I had found another nice buck and I was going after him on the opener of the muzzeloader hunt. I got down in the canyon and had been sitting in my spot for a while when I looked across the canyon about 1-1.5 miles way and I saw a good buck. I grabbed my scope and it revealed "sleepy" on the same ridge he frequented during the summer. I watched him bed down and then I began the long hike. Several hours later I was on the backside of the ridge and the wind was perfect! I slowly eased over the ridge and I began glassing hard, after a minute or two I saw antlers flash in the sun, It was him. He was in his bed at 80 Yards. My first shot hit him in the front shoulder, and it took several more shots to put him down for good! It was the most awesome feeling to have watched this buck all summer and to be able to kill him with a muzzeloader, It really meant a lot to me. "Sleepy" was a 6x4 and was 28 1/2 inches wide. I spend countless hours scouting and it finally paid off with this buck! This was my first buck with a muzzeloader. The first pics are him in the summer.
[Image: IMGA0182.jpg]
[Image: P1000492.jpg]
[Image: P1000494.jpg]
[Image: P1000501.jpg]
[Image: P1000497.jpg]
[signature]
PUT THE SNEAKY ON HIM. NICE! MY FAVORITE WAY IS SPOT AND STALK. THAT DEER GREW ALOT OVER THE SUMMER IN LENTH AND MASS. I BET HE WOULD GO CLOSE TO THE MAJIC 200. THE CHEATERS WILL HURT BUT NOT TO BAD. HIS MAIN BEAMS. WOW.
[signature]
Here is a nice buck my wife got last archery season. He's a 4X, but is weak on his 3's and 4's. 24" wide. Great buck for her first deer.
[inline annsbuck.jpg]
[signature]
My biggest is 34 1/2 inches wide that i got on public land and one other guy in are group got a 30 inch ill try to post pics soon
[signature]
OK. I'll shut up now. You guys put me to shame. Those are some excellent bucks! Congratulations! I love the mount with the stringy velvet hanging off of the antlers.
I still have alot of hunting to do and alot to learn about it. You guys are pros! Thanks for sharing and don't laugh at my buck!

My friend and I were hunting this buck and he told me it was a big two point (forgot my binos). I really wanted to take a deer with my muzzleloader so I took the shot and this is what I ended up with. Maybe I need some
new friends.
[inline "Monster buck!.JPG"]
[signature]
I keep thinking I got this in 04 but it was in 2003 after looking at my pics. I saw him opening day in the late morning and two more times the following two days. I was walking back to where I had seen him previously just as the sun was coming up. I paused at a thick row of quakies? thinking how I didn't want to walk through all the leaves and make noise. He came running out in front me about 40 yds. away, watching me the whole time. I didn't even have a chance to think I just reacted, pulled up my gun and shot. Ya right, I missed-hit a tree?. Dumb luck he stopped in his tracks and looked right at me, done deal. My first bullet grazed his back, I think it stunned him. My buddies decided to leave the night before and I had to drag him through the brush all uphill. That I will never forget, I was so full of adrenaline for shooting this buck and could hardly drag him by myself. I can't wait to do it again. Results for this years hunt will be here soon! Oh and it was on public land.
[inline untitled2003.bmp]
[signature]
Well. Good bucks on the General hunt? My dad, brother, and myself have been pretty lucky. We hunt a primo mountain with excellent genetics, and best of all, little to no hunting presure.

Every year it goes about the same. We wake up, drive to the western part of Central, hike into our mountains. One of us usually kill a biggie the in the first 45 minutes to 2 hours of light. After that it's putting in 15 to 25 mile days in rocky shale terrain, popping different ridges looking for a decent buck. Most times your looking over 5 to 10 24-27" 4 points waiting for the magic 30". I've settled for 28" bucks some years.

The hard work pays off. This is what I come home to every night.

[inline "family room.jpg"]
[inline "living room.jpg"]

A couple of my best.
[inline "1st buck.jpg"]

[inline "05 buck.jpg"]

A couple of my dad's more unique deer. He's killed a lot of nice bucks.

[inline "33 4x4.jpg"]

[inline 5x6.jpg]

[inline "220 4x5.jpg"]

If you scout, hike, get away from the crowds and hunt an area year after year after year, chances are you'll learn where the bigger bucks are, too. Just keep your finger off the trigger, and when you finally jump him, sit down and take your time. You'll start killing deer like these, too. Or just get lucky. It's all good.
[signature]
Those are some great animals Mc Lennon! [cool]
[signature]
Thanks. It's taken a lot of time and effort, but just sitting here tonight even, it's all worth it.
[signature]
Hunter, fisherman, and Pink Floyd fan.... wanna marry my sister? [Tongue] jk
[signature]