Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slot Limits
Okay, I've been fishing for a while but I just have a few questions. They might seem idiotic but hey. lol. First off, with a slot limit, does it mean that you can only keep the fish between that slot, or the smaller and larger above and below the slot?

Second Question would be what is so great about bait cast reels?
I've been looking at buying a one but just haven't been convinced.
[signature]
Generally a slot limit means you can keep fish between the given sizes. Say 4 bass a day between 16 and 20 inches. Get you states annual fishing pamplet and it should explain further. As for baitcasters alot of people swear by them. I strickly use spinning reels but thats just my personal preferance. Baitcasters can be discouraging to people with little experiance with them due the the fact that they have the tendacy to "birdnest". A little practice and advise on how to use the equipment can cure that with time. But I've seen alot of well seasoned fisherman backlash baitcasters with regularity. Thats when they call it a profesional overage [Wink]
[signature]
Welcome to our Forums. Thanks for the question and please feel free to post more questions as the need arrises.

You already heard the correct answer for slot limit so let me give you a little insight about baitcasters.

First of all, I use spinning, baitcasters, conventional and fly fishing equipment. Each one has its advantages and diSadvantages.

I like the bait caster for anything over 1/4oz that I need to cast out and be able to bring back with some good authority.

Baitcasters offer a degree of finesse that you don't get with any other types.( flyfishing has a different aspect of finesse too).

Just like with any type of fishing style, you need to practice to get it to work well for you. Don't be afraid of backlash. It will happen form time to time but you can minimize it by setting your cast control properly and later, learning how to use the thumb.[cool]
[signature]
First of all, welcome to BFT! IT's always nice to see new members!

Like mentioned before, slot limits allow you to keep only fish with in a certain length. Those limits are frequently used in saltwater for fish like Red Drum and Striped Bass. The idea is to protect sexually mature females from harvesting so they can reproduce in the future. The fish that are with in the slot limit are usually at a key size when that particular species of fish is most abundant. Those that make it to sexual maturity are few and far between, and the slot limit protects them from becoming a fillet on someones dinner table.

I prefer a baitcaster for a number of reasons. For one, they can take more abuse than a spinning outfit. Two, I like having a clicker when i'm live bait fishing and I feel as if I have more control when i'm using a casting reel. I, like tubeN2, use all types of reels, and they all have a time and place. I use spinning tackle for my freshwater ultra light applications for bream, crappie, and bass. I use alot of light terminal tackle and lures, and spinning reels are best for such an application. [cool]
[signature]