Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Report
Took the family out to Utah Lake on the boat today. I launched at the ramp on the West side south of Saratoga, it's a pretty nice setup but the parking is kind of tight. I cruised around for awhile teaching the wife how to drive the boat and ran into some friends who just bought a new wakeboard boat. WOW! 24' long and designed to do nothing but make big waves, I bit my Tongue when I said how nice it was [unsure]. Water temp was 64, fished on the north end of the lake. White bass were tight to the reeds and plenty of them. Anchored and fished for cats for awhile but caught more white bass than cats.
After catching a few white bass my daughter wanted to keep one in the livewell which meant I either use it for bait or eat it. I kept 5 larger ones, filleted them and man were they tasty. I ate a walleye a few years back but other than that I've never ate anything out of Utah Lake. I hope this upcoming PCB report doesn't screw Utah Lake up. I could see myself catching more of those tasty white bass in the future. It was a beautiful day out on the water, I believe spring temps are finally here.
[signature]
nice report. what were you catching all the bass on. the nice weather is bound to help the catching odds
[signature]
Did the lake still look like chocolate milk towards the north end? I fished at the saratoga boat harbor last weds. and couldn't believe how stirred up the lake was. Also wondering how deep the water was where you were fishing? I'm planning on heading out their with the boat weds. I've never had my boat on the north end of the lake so I'm just curious. Gland you were able to get in to some white bass they are good eatin. Thanks
[signature]
The lake was calm when I got there but still looked murky a light breeze from the south came in and made it it real murky. Near the reedline the depth averaged about 5' but I have not calibrated my transducer so it's probably more like 6'. Roughly 50 yards from the reedline it averages about 9'. I was catching the whities on yellow Berkley walleye grubs on Tubedudes' infamous sickle hook leadheads, man them suckers are sharp! I drew blood yet again.
TD, if you read this post I'd like to know what brand of paint you use for your glowheads, those things light up like Christmas lights! As soon as I brought my poles into my house I could see the one on my line glowing and I had the windows open!
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. My boat sets pretty deep in the water so I am always a bit nervouse when I head out to new areas in a shallow lake. Hopefully the kitties are a bit more playfull by Weds. Thanks for your help.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice report. This is a fun time of year on "Muddy Pond".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The glow stuff I use is a space age glow powder, mixed with clear vinyl jig paint, and applied over white or chartreuse base. It really does put out a great glow, and once charged it lasts for hours. When I turn off the lights in my "tackletorium" at night, it looks like an airplane cockpit with all of the glowing stuff I have in there. And, if I come back down while it is still dark in the morning, most of it is still glowing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bad news. The company from which I bought the powder has discontinued it. They were getting it from a company in China that went defunct. Lucky for me I bought a large supply.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that there is another company that sells the good stuff...including some blue and other colors too. That stuff is "spendy" but if you get a couple of guys combining on an order you can get enough to last a long time. And, you can get the kind of glow that you can't buy on commercially made jigs. Several of us have determined that it is the absolute best for ice fishing jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=3"]LINK TO SUPPLIER[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat, go ahead and order 50 pounds of the white glow in the dark powder and I will share the cost by purchasing an ounce off of you![sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nah...I think I have all I will need for the rest of my jig making days. I bought a pound for $30 on the closeout of the other company. Usually they sold it for $10 for 75 grams...about 2 1/2 oz. It only takes a small amount to make a couple of dozen jigs. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, if you want to become a glow powder tycoon, go head on and order a drum of it...and then peddle it off an ounce at a time.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]I hit Lincoln Beach last night and the big channels weren't biting that much yet, but the mudders were. It was nice weather though a little windy from the South. I hit the lake at 4:30 for the evening bite. About an hour later Gary (CarpPunisher) joined me and he brought good luck as I missed a mudcat right at the tube, but about 15 minutes later I nailed a 6.3 pound male channel. Lots of fun that one was. Fought really hard, then he wrapped himself around my ancher rope and had to finagle him out of there before I could net him. He made for some fine kittie krispies late last night (even though I had no garlic powder or paper towels to drain them on-just added some creole seasoning as a substitute). Yummie. That was it for the channels though. Caught 5 mudders and lost at least that many and a channel or two as well, took 4 of them home to join me for dinner with the 6 pounder already in my basket.

I think with a couple more days of warmer weather the channels will bite even better. Hint, hint, fish close to the reeds/cattails right now...
[signature]