Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smelly jelly???????
has any1 use this product for rainbow trout and if so which 1???
[signature]
I've used 3 different "flavors" of smelly jelly... all in the gel style. I have used anchovie/salt glitter, herring, and crawdad flavor. The best for rainbows is crawdad. I've used the others for trout too, but the crawdad (orange colored gel) seems to have the edge on the others. Keep it in a cooler, smelly jelly brand scents will seperate if they get hot.

Another option is to look at scents by pro cure. Their super gels are the best, in my opinion.(won't seperate, and they seem to work better) But, smelly jelly will work good too. The biggest benefit of scents, in my opinion, is that the fish tend to hold on a little longer. This helps slow hook setters, like me!

At the end of the day, whether you use pro cure or smelly jelly, you will have some messy lures. The best way to clean them is to spray them with wd-40 and then wipe them off. It's important to clean lures because scents can cause increaed corrosion to metal surfaces. (especially the salty smelly jelly!) If you don't clean them up, they will rust or tarnish.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how you do!

Take care, bkidder
[signature]
Yes it works but keep it in your cooler.
Pro Cure scent works also!
Good luck!
James
[signature]
They work great on your cut'r bug James! That was my ice fishing go-to combination... cut'r bug smeared with pro cure or smelly jelly!
[signature]
Smelly Jelly is good. I have used it for trout, bass and panfish.

I also like the ProCure. They have a "Bait Butter" which tends to hold a scent longer. The liquid can be injected into plastics of almost any size for added attraction where permitted by law.[cool]
[signature]
Although I only fish for trout In the winter, I like the pro cure. Smelly Jelly seems to be more potent but the pro cure is like honey and sticks real good, real good inside tubes. Off the subject, for bass I like the orange crawdad Smelly Jelly.
TubeN2, I've thought about injecting scent into Senkos but have never tried. Seems like a good idea. I'll have to try it this weekend.
[signature]
All you need is the liquid version of the Pro Cure, not the Bait Butter. The liquid comes with an injector so that you can put some liquid into the Senkos, AAs, Big Hammers or Fish Traps. (yes you can use them on the Maniacs too) I just wish I had some Maniacs to test with it.[cool]
[signature]
[Tongue] I've used the smelly jelly a couple of times and they named it right!!!!! I have been using the pro cure liquid and the kodiak attractant in the syringe. I have used the kodiak in tubes and used in crappie tubes. The crappie love it.
[signature]
I agree with you 100% on the liquid in the Tubes. Those hold up more liquid than the other solid plastics.

For a little added and sustained scent retention, I will sometimes use small pieces of Felt or Cotton inside the tubes as well.

The felt seems to work better and is a very inexpensive addition to your tackle box.[cool]
[signature]
Never heard of it. Where do you get it?
[signature]
[cool] YOU CAN ORDER IT FROM CABELA'S. A 4 OZ. JAR IS $8.99 AND THE LIQUID IS $4.99 FOR 4 OZ.
I HAVE SEEN IT AT WAL-MART, YOU COULD TRY YOUR LOCAL BAIT AND TACKLE SHOPS.
[signature]