Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shed Hunt Results 5/1/07
I decided to head up to my new little spot and go shed hunting this morning. I arrived at the spot around 8:00 AM and began the steep hike up the mountain. About a couple miles in I spooked a huge grouse that had the coloration of a ruffed grouse but looked a little bigger than a blue grouse. I figured it was probably just a big mamma ready to lay eggs or something. Anyway, about 20 minutes later I jumped another huge grouse, this one was a big blue for sure. As I reached the summit I was glad to see that there was elk and deer sign everywhere. I was still antlerless but in a good mood. I zig-zagged my way around the whole ridge finding nothing but sticks and stones.
I decided to sit down and rest for a while on top of the ridge, I took a drink and pulled out the binos. About 400 yards across the canyon I caught a glimpse of what looked like a shed antler under a tree. I couldn't tell for sure if it was or not but I decided to go for it and check it out. This hike was even worse than the first, it was almost vertical and I found myself almost rock climbing to get there. As I reached the old tree I was amazed that not only did I find my antler but the match was also there on top of it. It was a pretty good sized deer, a 3x4 with some good height. After finding the set of antlers I decided that was enough hiking for me and continued down the steep slope. On my way down i found another shed, a small three point.
When I got to the bottom I talked to a guy on horseback that said there was a big six point bull dead on top of the ridge. He said it was probably poached. I also saw a dead cow elk and two dead does. the does looked like winter kill to me.
Overall it was a pretty good hike, I got some good exercise and found some antlers. Too bad about the poached six point, I wrote a note about it and left it at the sign in box. I attached some pics.
Hookjaw
[signature]
Sweet! Are you gonna make something outta them? [cool]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Those are some good finds! Too bad about that 6 point bull that was killed...dang poachers!![mad][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I would like to hunt some poachers in the act of poaching. Sometimes we need the wild west back. They are only big and bad because they carry a gun. Take away the gun and that would be some fun. Actually, just shoot in the general area they are in and scare them pretty good.
[signature]