Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macks eating Burbot
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]This conversation came up with a friend of mine this afternoon, so I thought I would ask you guys your opinion. I know the Macks at the Gorge are feeding on the Burbot, but I have only kept the smaller macks and they haven't had any burbot in them yet. So in your opinion what part of the Mack diet is becoming burbot or are they just an occasional snack. I think they are becoming part of their regular feeding pattern, especially for the bigger guys.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thanks[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
The only study I'm aware of indicates that the macks are not feeding on burbot to any significant extent, but it's based on a small sample, and no really big lake trout weree sampled. You can find the results and articles here: [url "http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Fish/Newsletters/GreenRiver/2007GRNewsletter.pdf"]http://gf.state.wy.us/...2007GRNewsletter.pdf[/url]

From the Flaming Gorge Update article:

"[size 3]Diet analysis of LAT produced one unusual observation in 2006. A burbot (BBT) was found in the stomach of a 20 inch LAT [lake trout], marking the first time BBT have been confirmed in the diet of LAT."[/size]

and

"[size 3][size 3]We are hoping LAT will utilize BBT as forage, but so far there is very little evidence to support our hopes and we would really like to hear from any anglers who find BBT in LAT stomachs." [/size][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]From the atricle titled Burbot in the Green River Drainage: [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]"[size 3]Recent diet analysis of burbot in Flaming Gorge and Fontenelle indicates that they are feeding heavily on crayfish as well as juvenile smallmouth bass and Utah chubs. This is not a good situation for other species that also rely on crayfish for food like rainbow trout, brown trout, lake trout and smallmouth bass. Burbot will undoubtedly impact crayfish populations, possibly resulting in less prey availability for desired sport fish. Biologists are also extremely concerned about smallmouth bass because they not only utilize crayfish almost exclusively for food but juvenile smallmouth appear to be very vulnerable to burbot predation. Unlike other species, burbot are most active during winter months when other species, especially smallmouth bass, cannot avoid predators well. This situation could possibly have disastrous consequences for natural recruitment of smallmouth bass and other sport fish." [/size][/size]
[signature]
Hey Braz, not sure about macks but walleye will feed mostly on what ever is avilable in abondunce. like when the perch are on the rise they will feed on them for a while. then when the crayfish are abondunce they will switch over and feed on crayfish for a while and give the perch a break. then they will feed on bug hatch's, just depends on what food source is in abondunce at that time of the year. later chuck
[signature]
I sure hope they are putting the munch on them. It will be interesting to see how things pan out in the next 10 years or so.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Another part of this question is I was watching a fishing show yesterday on a lake somewhere in Canada I can't remember where though. That lake had large populations of Northern Pike, Walleye, Lake Trout, Burbot, and tons of Small mouth bass, along with some brown and rainbow trout.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]They also had a diver in the water for most of the show they were actually fishing for the smallies during the show. The lake seemed to have plenty of Crawfish in it according to what they were saying in the show. They also said that the Lakers had a strong diet of the burbot. This kind of made me think that hopefully the Gorge might not be as bad off as some people think. If these fish can coexist in other waters why not the Gorge. Just a thought. [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Here is an interseting link to info on burbot. [url "http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/lota.html"]Click here.[/url][/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Exactly what I've been saying! No reason to panic. Actually, they're making the laker fishing tougher because now the already over-fed lakers have even more to eat, and less reason to hit something artificial.

Beware though, because Utah DWR will still try to convince everyone the lakers don't have enough to eat, as they've been saying for over 15 years now. Right.

I can tell you what they're NOT eating: Anything made of plastic, feathers, or fur; especially with a line attached and a hook in it!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Jim, might be time to go back to the plastic molds and work up a burbot imitation.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I already have it. That ain't it! It's a soft-plastic bait, and they're wise to anything and everything made of soft plastic![Wink] The fish are just far too educated (or programmed, or conditioned, or whatever the your favorite term is).

As the saying goes, when they want to eat, they'll eat anythng we put down there. When they don't, which is most of the time, I haven't found a magic bullet. What do they call this, fishing?

On the Gorge, its mostly down to luck now.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I know what you are saying...about the fish knowing exactly what they want...and don't want. Macks get big by being survivors...or by learning what not to eat. They live longer than most other fish in the lake so they have a long time to build their "database" of what to avoid.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I sometimes get a mental picture of a couple of old fat macks swimming up to some fisherman's lure and commenting on the make, model, color, knot and presentation. They probably have some good laughs that we never know about.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Ya Jim after watching that show yesterday I have changed my tune. I still think we need to try and control the population of the burbot because they can populate themselves very quickly. Maybee some Walleye would be the key[shocked] Oh I just did not write that did I.LOL[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]It was real neat to see that show yesterday I sure wish I would have recorded it. That lake was real similar to the water temps, depth and size of the Gorge. The only difference was the species the Gorge don't have like Walleye and Northern Pike. [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]But the show was a bass show and the small mouth they were pulling out of the place was unbeleivable. This is what really changed my mind because since crustacians are a big part of smallie diets I would expect them to be hit the hardest by the Burbot not only eating the Crayfish but the smallies themselves. But the fish they were catching made me jealous as can be. [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Oh they even had about a five minute section where they trolled for Macks and they pulled out a real pretty colored fat old 25lb. It was a good show. Hopefully the Gorge will follow suit to that lake.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later all[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Last time i fished the Gorge (Villa Derby) we kept a few smallmouth in the livewell and they were puking up Burbot minnows maybey it will be a problem with the small smallmouth but i have never caught so many large smallmouth at the gorge ever. We boated over 100 fish and the average size had to be around 2 lbs. it will be interesting to see the effects.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thats great!! If the smallies are making the transition to eating Burbot minnows we might end up with a better fishery than we had before. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully the "Accidental" Burbot introduction will end up being a good thing for the Fisheries of the Green and the Flaming Gorge.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
I was up there last weekend and in my opinion the lake trout look to be gaining weight rather than loseing it. We ended up boating more fish over ten pounds than under. I tried to release them all but one of them was bleeding from its gill and would not come to.
[signature]
[reply]
............... I tried to release them all but one of them was bleeding from its gill and would not come to. [/reply]
[signature]
I have to agree with Gorgefanatic, I am catching more 10-15+ than ever before. Either they are getting bigger or I am getting better.... probably the first.
[signature]
[reply]Exactly what I've been saying! No reason to panic. Actually, they're making the laker fishing tougher because now the already over-fed lakers have even more to eat, and less reason to hit something artificial.

Beware though, because Utah DWR will still try to convince everyone the lakers don't have enough to eat, as they've been saying for over 15 years now. Right.

I can tell you what they're NOT eating: Anything made of plastic, feathers, or fur; especially with a line attached and a hook in it![/reply]

Are you just plain stupid; or asininely ignorant? Honestly. I mean come on...get serious. The only reason there are any big lake trout in the gorge at all anymore is because the wildlife agencies from both Utah and Wyoming have been stocking gillions of rainbows, browns, and kokes every year. Go back and look at the diet analysis of the lake trout and what are they eating? If Wyoming and Utah decided to stop stocking browns, rainbows, and kokes, the lake trout population would stunt so fast your head would spin.

As for the ling, if you don't think they will have a negative impact on the lake, you better brace yourself for a huge surprise. Not only does adding another top of the line predator to the reservoir change things dramatically, but you will be taking lots of food away from your prized lake trout.

You just better hope Utah and Wyoming keep stocking bows, browns, and kokes....
[signature]
Oh, sorry there wormy. I don't know what I was thinking. Yep, I'm just plain stupid. You're right. The lake trout are already starving to death in the Gorge. In fact, I'm seeing dead ones all over the place. And every fish I catch is skinny and emaciated. The burbot are everywhere. I can't keep them off the hook. And, after fishing the Gorge for over 3,000 days, I still don't have a clue how to fish it, so that proves I'm stupid.

Also, thanks for letting me know that Utah and Wyoming could plan to stop stocking rainbows, browns and kokanee in the lake. I had never heard that before either. Stupid me. Well, its going to be a hell of a bass and burbot lake though. Be sure to let everyone know. Flaming Gorge is dead, the lake trout are dying or will all die and stunt, and there's certainly no reason to come here lake trout fishing. My head is already spinning, and the lake trout are losing pounds a week.

In fact, I'm moving to Blue Mesa Res. in Colorado. It's far superior to Flaming Gorge anyway. It just kicked out a 50 pounder. The Gorge hasn't had one in nearly 20 years. Yep, its over. Forget lake trout fishing on the Gorge. It's done. Be sure to spread the word and save everoyone the frustration. I'll do the same, thanks to you!

Again, thanks for your brilliant insight. I had no idea someone with such wisdom as yours could predict such biological results so quickly. I am enlightened.

THE GORGE IS DEAD. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]This is what I hate about this website. I guy asks a question or has a post and if it happens to be a hot topic eventually it will end up in some type of personal attack or comment. [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Too bad your opinions which I would respect wouldn't have been a couple of weeks ago when this post was new. Then maybee we could have had some intelligent, meaningful, and informative discussion. But I guess that is real hard to do when the conversation involves Lake Trout or Cuts.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Come on now Braz. You know he's right, and everything he said about me is true. I was stupid. This lake is done. No more macks. Please, please, moderators do not remove this post. I have been enlightened. He has a right to his opinion, and mine was dead wrong. The Gorge is history. Don't bother with it.
[signature]
and here i thought they were eating elk and deer, guess ill have to swithch baites. gee jim mabe you should look for other work.[Wink]
[signature]