Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do the cutts at Strawberry spawn?
Anyone? Seems like it is sometime around now but I can't remember. I know they are not real easy to catch when they have "other things" on their mind and then usually after the spawn they put the feed bag on.
[signature]
ITS GOING NOW BUT ITS GETTING CLOSE TO DONE. IT STARTS MID MAY THE FISH START TO CRUISE THE BEDS OR MOVE UP THE CREEKS. AFTER ABOUT 2 WEEKS IT GETS GOING FULL STEAM. I USED TO MAKE A POINT TO HIT IT 3 TO 4 TIMES DURRING THIS TIME. TAKING KIDS AND FIRST TIMERS. MANY I TOOK TO DO IT CAUGHT THE BIGGEST TROUT OF THEIR LIVES. I ALWAYS USE A DAMSEL NYMPH WITH A GOLD BEAD HEAD AND A BB SPLIT SHOT ABOUT 9 INCHES UP. I FISH ASPEN RAMP. 1000,S USE IT FOR A BED. KEN
[signature]
I don't know the answer to your question. But what I can add is that I was there last Saturday, and according to my ledger is the first time I've ever been to Strawberry during the month of June. We caught 21 fish over 19 inches, 4 of which were over 22 inches, one of those was a 25 incher that my wife caught! We also caught more little fish than I've ever seen (casting and trolling). We caught 6 trolling in about 15 minutes time, all were under 15 inches.

What I'm trying to say is, the fishing is very good right now at Strawberry.

Here is a pic of my wife holding her 25 inch trout. We had it for dinner last night and it was very good! It got blood all over her during the photoshoot, not from its mouth or anything, but its tail was bleeding. I thought it looked like it had been in a shallow gravel bed, so maybe the spawn is in effect right now.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Cutts are spawning and will be for spell . I think most are spawning now but could still have few spawning till july .
[signature]
so how is the best way to fish for them during this spawning time?
[signature]
I don't like to fish spawners but petty4life tore them up with his new lures he had casting to them . They will eat lures just to move the bait away from their beds . Just like any species spawning . Not all fish spawn at the same time and the fishing should start to pic up soon . If you go to Strawberry there are signs that say no fishing at boat ramps but that is where a lot of the cutts are now and up stream . I should of took some pics of all the fish spawning at the Aspen Ramp . I still caught plenty of cutts trolling for kokes , so there some fish feeding too . I almost forgot the one that got away on me saturday . I never had one peel line off my penn reel like this one did but it shook the hook about 50' from my boat in the narrows after a 5 minute battle . I will get him next time . [Wink]
[signature]
Randy,
Have you been catching any Kokes at the Berry? I have been thinking about a trip up there.
[signature]
No Kokes yet this year , but I will keep trying .
[signature]