Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake West Side 6-21-07, some good, some bad!
I debated about where to go fishing today. I wanted to fish Pineview. I took a drive up there on Tuesday just to look for a good place to launch.
I asked one of our fellow BFT'ers and one person on the DWR site for a good place to launch a pontoon. Both gave me some good ideas on where to try.
After looking around, I found a place where I could launch if I had help to carry the toon or I could just take the float tube. Or launch from the boat ramps. The boat traffic at Pineview was fairly heavy, I didn't think I wanted to fight it.
After much debate with myself, I decided to try on the west side of Utah lake again.
I have tried it a number of times this year with little or no luck.
I launched North of the Knolls at about 6:00 am, the water was 70.8 degrees and warmed to over 77 degrees before I left at 2:00 pm.
I had the first fish in the basket at 7:00 am. The catching was slow but steady throughout the day.
I ended up catching 7 channel cats, 2 mud cats and 2 white bass. The biggest cat was 9 lbs, one 7 lb, a couple between 5 and 6, two were 2 lbs and one right at a pound.
All of the fish were caught on minnows under a bobber and right up in the reeds.
I tried plastics, crank baits and the minnows. I tried the minnows on the bottom and under a bobber. The only luck I had was with the minnow under a bobber and dropped about 3 feet down.
I lost 4 fish, one broke off and three just didn't hang on. I was a little anxious at first, on one of the first bites, the bobber barely went down when I set the hook hard. The bobber and hook hit me right in the middle of the chest. I settled down after that.
Around 1:00 pm, I was trying to get a carp bite something and I didn't notice my other line getting tangled my anchor and such. I chased the line into the reeds and it felt like a fish but it also felt like it was just hung up. I thought I lost the fish, so I was trying to retrieve the hook and bobber. I used the net to try and push it off of the reeds when I saw a fin. I dropped the net down lower and found a 2 pound cat on the end of the line.
I was retrieving one of my lines a short time later, I was pulling it in pretty fast when a cat grabbed it and took off. He managed to tangle the other line with the line he was on.
I finally got him in the net and was trying to get the other line untangled and the spines cut off when the cat put a spine right through the side of one of my pontoons.
I started to panic, as there was no way I could get to shore with the heavy reeds in the area. I was in about 4' of water.
In the process of getting the cat out of the net, I turned the net wrong side out and the fish fell in the water. I thought, Great! a hole in the pontoon and I lost the fish.
I went to reel in the other line in and I felt something pulling on it. I brought it in, and the cat was still tangled up in this line. So, I ended up with it in the basket anyway.
I moved as fast as I could to get back to the truck before sinking.
Turns out, I didn't have to move as fast as I thought. Even though the pontoon was leaking, it didn't go down as fast as I thought it would.
Two hours later when I got home, it still had lots of air in it.

I patched the hole but, the problem I am having now is the pontoon won't fill up right. It doesn't fill out the cover right by the valve. I let the air out and tried to move the bladder around a number of times and it still won't fill it out correctly.
The inside of the cover had a white powder in it, I don't know if that was something like a baby powder to allow the bladder to move around or what it was.
I am going to try and mess with it again tomorrow and see if it will fit right.

If anyone has experience with messing with a Fish cat pontoon bladder and getting it to fit back in right, I would appreciate the help.
[signature]
nice report to bad about the toon hope you get that fixed
[signature]
And i thought tube dude was the only on that type a novell like that [Wink]
[signature]
You got me on the valve thing [unsure]. I have a Bucks Bags and a Water Skeeter and have never had a problem filling them. How about a pic of the problem? I'm sure somebody could help you.
[signature]
I'll put a couple of the pictures in there.
The files are very big and with my new computer, I don't have a program that will let me resize them.

Maybe Tube Dude or one of the other mods can resize them for me.

I filled the pontoon up fully this morning, it didn't look too bad. It still has some small wrinkles though. When I let the air back out, it looked much worse.
[signature]
Thanks.
I read Tude Dude's post from Utah Lake before I started my post.
It was going to be very short, but I felt like I had to expand the story out a bit.
[signature]
Nice post sorry bout the toon!
[signature]
[cool]That sucks about the 'toon, but 7 cats is a pretty good day at UL, and a ton of kittie krispie meat too! Nice job. I'm gonna have to go assult the West Side sometime soon now that it's warmer and the kitties are active in that area...
[signature]
[black][size 3]Just a guess, but it looks to me that there is a misalignment between the bladder and the shell of the tube.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Have you tried to let the air out, and then as you are filling it, massage the thing to line up the areas of both the bladder and shell around the filler valve?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]About the picture size, try this:[/size]
[size 3]If you are running winXP, go to start, then all Programs, go up to Accessories, then select Paint. From there, select Image, go to attributes, and a box of sizing options will appear.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]When you get to Paint as described above, click on File and then Open. This will give you a box with your folders in it. Select the photo you want to change, then proceed to the Image option.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If these instructions are not clear, give me a PM, and we'll work it out.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The repairs should not have affected how the air bladder fills out the pontoon. My guess is that you need to mostly deflate it, unzipper it again and try shifting the bladder around a couple of times until it evens out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those Outcast urethane bladders seem to need to be fitted just right. I have had a similar problem with my Fat Cats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that the problem is more "cosmetic" than serious. If you leave it as is, it will not damage anything.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks.
It took a few tries to get it to work. I finally went back and read all of the instructions and then it worked fine.
[signature]
I let the air out and moved it around as best I could. It seems to be better and after letting it sit in the garage in the heat all day. It really looks a lot better.

Thanks for everyone's help.
[signature]