Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the best boat insurance?

I'm new to this here site and I noticed one of the topics you could talk about is boat insurance. Nobody seems to care that much about it, which I thought was a bit surprising considering how important it is. I mean, my own boat got destroyed a couple years ago when a big storm hit and if it weren't for insurance, I'd be using a dingy. I'm just saying, I think it'd be a good idea to post the best places one could get insurance, cause it's so important.

My insurance company is united marine underwriters. Here's a link to their site:

[url "http://www.unitedmarine.net/"]http://www.unitedmarine.net/[/url]

When my boat got smashed, they helped me get a new one pretty quick. No fuss, no muss. Anybody out there know what I'm talking about?
[signature]
I wouldn't take my boat out on the water without insurance, especially with all the crazies on Lake Sinclair. I've only been here a short while, but I know there have been fatal boating accidents on the lake in both of the last two years.
I have an old Tracker that's paid for, so I just have liability insurance. It's cheap, $50 a year for $300,000 coverage through my auto insurance company. Well worth the price!
[signature]
I got mine through the dealer when I bought the boat and some how their tied in with Mercury and Lund. $300.00 a bit pricey, but has full replacement no matter how old the boat gets.
[signature]
I use Progressive Boat Insurance. I run a jet boat in shallow, rocky rivers, so insurance is a must. The price is pretty reasonable. I have full replacement value coverage on the boat, which cost around 16k. My annual premiums are only about $160.00. I don't think that is too bad.

Dave
[signature]
Thanks, everyone, for your replies - it's been really informative (and "informative" is about as sophisticated as my vocabulary gets[Wink])!

As for Progressive, man, I used to have Progressive, but they got on my nerves! I'm talking about my car insurance though - I never had them for boats. But they always seemed to raise my premium every six months, even though my record is squeaky clean and my truck is an antique - and not the kind of antique one would take to the Antique Roadshow either! I don't know - I started feeling like they were taking advantage of me so I moved on to State Farm. They were much better to me. I don't know though - maybe Progressive has good premiums for boats. I must admit, I never looked into it.

I still say it doesn't get any better than [url "http://www.unitedmarine.net/"]UMU[/url]. They were fair with me from the moment I started dealing with them, till the moment I needed them most - when my boat decided to make a run for land during a thunderstorm and got ripped to pieces for its trouble. To me, that's the real test of a good insurance company - how efficient and helpful they are when you actually need their assistance. I was surprised - I figured they'd be asking me a bunch of questions to try and screw me, but the only thing they really wanted to know was how it got unhitched from the dock in the first place, which is fair enough: my son doesn't know how to tie a proper knot! [Tongue]
[signature]
Well, I don't have insurance at all. Then again, the premiums would probably end up costing more in the long run then just buying myself another 14' Starcraft and and 1975 Evinrude 9.5. Boat, outboard and trailer only ran me $1500 Canadian.
[signature]
Haha, too true! That's always been the catch 22 of the insurance business.[Wink]
[signature]