Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Area 6/26 thru 7/1
We went on a family vacation to the Flaming Gorge area. Camped at Brownie Lake for 2 days then moved to Green's Lake near Red Canyon for the remainder of the trip. We fished Browne, Sheep Creek, Moose pond, Green's Lake East, Flaming Gorge, and Matt Warner.

While at Browne I fished the evening of 6/26 from the bank and caught 3 Rainbows and 2 Brookies. I had to keep one of the Brookies since it was injured. But it was very tasty. Fished the next morning from my tube but only caught one rainbow. The beavers did a lot of splashing, trying to scare the intruder away. I fished the evening of 6/27 from my tube and caught 4 more rainbows. The rainbows were about 16" the biggest that I have caught out of Browne. I guess it was quality over quantity. Bigger but fewer fish than in the past.

The last morning before moving I took my tube to Sheep Creek Lake and I caught one cut about 15".

After moving to Red Canyon I fished the Moose pond the evening of 6/28 and the morning of 6/29 catching 9 and then 11 planter rainbows.

I bought my $5.00 permit to fish Greens Lake east for 6/30. Went out in my tube about 5:00 am and had the lake to myself for about 2 hours before anyone else woke up to try their hand at fishing. I saw one guy catch a small one from the dock. Except for the ones I caught it was the only one that I saw caught. I hooked 5 but only landed 3. The first jumped twice and broke my 4# leader with very little effort. I switched to 6# and landed the next, a 17"er. I landed the next one also it was a 20"er and around 4#'s. The next one jumped twice and spit my fly out. The last one was about 17 inches and spit the hook just as I leached out to release it. The two that escaped looked to be about the same size as the 20"er. They were all rainbows. They are supposed to be kamaloops but I can't tell the difference, but they were big.

The next trip was to Flaming Gorge. We headed down to the lake about 10:30. When we got to Ceder Springs launch ramp we found that the grandkids playing in the boat had left the key on and the battery was dead. So, back to camp to charge the battery. By the time the battery was charged and my son and son-in-law had returned from Vernal (they had to get parts for my sons truck) we headed to the lake again just about sunset. We had about 1/2 hour to fish before dark. But the two grandkids had a blast. They caught 2 6", and 2 10-11" smallmouths and 2 10-11" chubs.

The next trip was over to Matt Warner with the boat. We had my son, son-in-law, 2 grandkids, and myself. I caught 8 and everyone else did about the same. They were all rainbows and ranged in size from about 11" to 17".

All my fishing until Matt Warner was with a fly and bubble. At Flaming Gorge the grandkids used worms. And at Matt Warner we all trolled flatfish.

We loaded up and came home on 7/1. But my oldest grandson still hadn't gotten enough fishing so we went over to Oquirrah for the evening and caught baby rainbows, bluegills, and bass.
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a fun and busy trip Neldon. Sounds like the g-kids had a good time as well.
[signature]