Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mares Avanti Fins
[crazy] Does anyone know what the differences are between the Mares Avanti X3 fins and the Mares Avanti Superchannel fins? I used a pair of the Mares Avanti Superchannel fins this last weekend and found them to be very efficient. I especially liked the quick release snap buckles.

I also just received the X3's in the mail and they feel a bit lighter than the Superchannels, but the quick release buckle is stiff and requires you to pull it straight up to release the latch, where on the SuperChannels you have two buttons to press in on each side which releases the latch.

As always your comments are appreciated.

As a side note to a post I made regarding the Orvis Float Tube fins, do not waste your money on these. I used them on my first float tube trip and as I was tightening one of them the fin actually cracked/tore. In addition, as most of you warned these type of fins do not move much water. Now that I have used these and a pair of Mares Avantis the difference is like night and day.

Most members (I would name names but would probably inadvertently leave someone off) on this board bring an immense amount of tubing/tooning experience, knowledge and wisdom which is greatly appreciated by a newbie like me. It is so great not to have to reinvent the wheel!!!!!!

Again Thanks,

JD
[signature]
[#0000ff]No personal experience with the SuperChannels, but it sounds like they have incorporated some technology upgrades over previous models. Hail progress.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been a fan of the Mares products for many years. They were considered the epitome of diving fins, back in the days I lived, dived and tubed in California. I bought my first pair of the Plana Avantis strictly for tubing when I lived in Tucson AZ back in about 1984. I used and abused them for almost 20 years...all over the country and in several salt water venues...before replacing them with a new set. I still have the old ones and often loan them out to family or friends who do not have fins for a tubing trip. Other than a couple of minor splits in the ends of the blades they are still in good condition. Heck, maybe I started the split blade design.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you are able to benefit by the accumulated knowledge that we collect and share on the board. I can only wish that I had the benefit of something like this during my formative tubing years. Who knows where I would be today? Scary.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well from what I can tell is that the Super Channels have a bigger center channel than the x3's. Also look here at this there are a couple of different buckles you can use.

[url "http://www.mares.com/products.php?type=p_fins_accessories&region=USA"]Buckles[/url]
[signature]
Majja,

I saw the buckles. The ABS Plus is what is standard on the Superchannel Fins and the plain ABS is what is standard on the X3's.

Thanks,

John
[signature]
TubeDude,

If you don't mind me asking, what area or areas of California did you live in? Also, what lakes did you enjoy tubing in out here?

JD
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I lived in several areas of California over the 25 or so years of my residence there. A couple of years in San Diego...fishing Otay, San Vicente, Murray and some small ponds. Also a lot of time on Mission Bay and some in San Diego Harbor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I lived in Orange County quite a few years, fishing Irvine, Arrowhead, Big Bear, Silverwood and many salt water venues...Like Newport harbor and some open areas along the coastline. Oh yeah, Long Beach too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then there were a few years of Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties...with Casitas, Cachuma (no tubes), Nacimiento and some other small ponds...as well as lots of coastline salt slingin' for bass and butts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I then lived in Sacramento for about the last 7 or 8 years. Too many lakes, rivers and salt water bays to remember. I hit most of them. I lived right on the American River and even tubed under Nimbus Dam for steelhead, stripers, salmon and smallies...oh yeah, shad too...5 "S"s.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since my early years of tubing in SoCal, there have been new waters added and lots of changes in regulations on others. I would probably have a tough time relearning them all.[/#0000ff]
[signature]