Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWS REPORT -- Action on CORMORANTS ??????"
[#000099][size 2]NEWS REPORT -- Action on CORMORANTS ??????"
[/size][/#000099]

[font "Verdana"][#000099][size 2][#ff0000][size 1]LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-03 AT 12:19 PM (CST)[/size][/#ff0000]

By MIKE TYREE Ž
Associated Press Writer Ž

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — Double-crested cormorants, the fish-gobbling water birds widely despised by fishing groups and resort operators, may soon find Michigan’s waters less hospitable.
Skyrocketing cormorant populations prompted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to propose lifting some federal protections, meaning Michigan and 23 other states may be able to kill cormorants in areas where the birds damage fish and vegetation.
Cormorants have been federally protected since the early 1970s, when pesticides and humans threatened their existence. Since then, the hook-billed, diving birds have rebounded dramatically, with their North American population estimated at some 2 million.
“The cormorant has had a significant (negative) effect in some areas,” said Paul Schmidt, assistant director of migratory birds with the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Under the proposal, the 24 states, American Indian tribes and the U.S. Department of Agriculture may devise plans to kill cormorants by destroying eggs and shooting birds. The states must inform federal authorities of their plans and provide information about the number of birds killed, Schmidt said.
Michigan officials said they will form a team to study and make a recommendation on the cormorant plan in the coming weeks.
“We recognize that cormorants are a problem, both biologically and sociologically in several parts of the state,” said Brad Wurfel, spokesman for the Department of Natural Resources.
He said the four-agency partnership is necessary to develop a cormorant management plan. He also accused federal officials of occasionally dumping programs on states “without any funding and with restrictions that made the programs unworkable.”
Schmidt said the program is not meant to be a burden but a tool states can use.
“I recognize states are not going to be in a position to do everything they want to do,” he said.
Cormorants are hated in many northern Michigan communities. Each bird can gulp a pound of fish per day and their highly acidic waste destroys vegetation. Thousands of birds nest on northern Michigan islands.
The Michigan Audubon Society has yet to review the latest studies on cormorant numbers and environmental impact, but a spokesman said the group may not oppose the plan. State and federal authorities must continue to monitor cormorant numbers if a control plan is implemented.
“We’re not anti-management, we’re pro making wise management decisions,” said Ray Adams, chairman of Audubon’s research committee. “I don’t think there’s any question we’ve had a tremendous increase in cormorant numbers.”
Larry Lienczewski, a Bay City charter fisherman, motors his boat from Bay City to Oscoda every year and runs through thousands of cormorants, all feeding in the water.
“It’s unbelievable. We see them all over the bay,” he said. “I’d say in the last 7 or 8 years it’s really gotten out of hand.”
Lienczewski thinks cormorants are at least partly to blame for declining yellow perch numbers and said cormorants also take a toll on islands that dot Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron. The birds nest on the islands and their waste is suspected of killing trees and vegetation.
“You can just see the old dead trees, the foliage is gone. It’s just nasty,” Lienczewski said.
Cormorants flock to the Les Cheneaux Islands off the southeast Upper Peninsula coast where thousands nest.
Brian Harrison, owner of The Great Outdoors bait and tackle shop in nearby Cedarville, accused the Fish and Wildlife Service of reacting too slowly to explosive cormorant population growth. He said the birds have devastated the yellow perch fishery while also muscling out blue herons, terns and plovers that used to nest on the islands.
“The people who actually make the decisions on these things are totally removed from the effect of (cormorants),” he said.
“Ten years ago I kind of thought it was a controllable thing,” he said.
Today, he doubts whether locals will be able to kill enough birds to significantly reduce the population.
Schmidt said the proposal would allow the state to designate local groups to kill cormorants, a plan that should get plenty of support in the Les Cheneaux Islands.
“There are a number of people up here, a lot of resort owners who are really concerned about declining fish numbers,” said Norm Perkins, a charterboat captain. “I believe you’d see a lot of people get involved (in killing cormorants).”
A 60-day public comment period on the cormorant proposal expires May 16. If adopted, Schmidt said, cormorant control measures could be in place by fall.
The 24 states permitted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to devise plans to manage double-crested cormorant populations in areas where the water birds are damaging fish or vegetation:
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
[/size][/#000099][/font]
[signature]

Hi there fishguide,

You made my day. Here in California our comorrant friends are happily being fed week by week by the Department of Fish and Game. The comorrants are happy and the guys that do nothing but wait for the planting truck to come and then fish exclusively for the stripers mainly and an occasional big bass too. ha ha Trout anglers, Who?

I've seen or can estimate that on one park lake here in southern California, at least 90% of a 900lb planting goes to our feathered friends, Why? Honest to Whoever, NO FISH in 2 days time! That's bad! They even go after hooked fish if your lucky enough to squeeze in!

Again, thanks for the info, there's always hope

JapanRon
[signature]
Where the Fox River enters the Bay of Green Bay a large population of cormorants have become very prominent in these waters. "Cormorant Island" has only dead trees and cormorants on it. They feed heavily on the shad population at the mouth of the Fox as it enters The Bay of Green Bay. As I teach environmental issues to the children we take fishing, the cormorant is right there, close up eating shad. I would like to see "Mother Nature" handle this situation, but I fear She will not, and once again man will try to control his surroundings. I hope we do the right thing here. love Life, and take a kid fishin'.
[signature]

CatmanErv,

Interesting. I'm thinking, but don't know exactly, if your situation is a natural occurance, no less off-kelter, but not quite like our fishing license fees going to feed the few. I like birds in general but, as you say, sometimes things get out of hand.

The Salton Sea here in California is an example. There is a large population of Brown Pelicans there but with the ebb and flow of the ecosystem, a large number decided to get out of dodge. They literally landed here in the Los Angeles area's coastal shores and have done nothing but prove to be bothersome. They become tame as puppies, beg for food, harass anglers and generally don't belong here in the numbers they are. But... what can you do! We even had some perverts, thru frustration I guess, grab around 10 or 12 birds, tourture, the murder them.

I hate them to be around when I fishing, but you've got to admit they do have their charm. Are you glad you weren't born a pelican and it was time to get hitched. ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
the utah fish and game people have delayed stocking a few of our lakes until the commorants move on , , ,its really goofed up our early spring fishing schedules here in southern utah . .

sm
[signature]
I had an opportunity to assist a state agency with a project on cormorant predation a while back. Cormorants were sampled and their gut contents examined. The birds were absolutely packed with bluegill in all stages of digestion. They have the potential to decimate sportfish populations. I would consider myself a conservationist and I love wildlife. However, if I am forced to choose between cormorants and my favorite fishing hole, I will choose the fish every time. I didn't feel bad at all shooting cormorants when I saw the impact they were having on one of my favorite fishing spots. Just my opinion.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I know what you mean about the DFG feeding them trout. I had the cops called on me at Cerritos Regional one day for throwing rocks in the vicinity of the birds trying to scare them away. Some tree hugger saying that if I threw one more he would call the cops and I didnt throw another rock, I threw a water bottle on a line and continued to do so until the damn thing left. But in the end everything turned out ok. Even out on the boats during cuda bites we catch dozens of those little suckers. And some other ones that are like terradactyls.

Big and small kill em all!

Aaron
[signature]