Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber in the snow
Hit the Weber at Mountain Green around 1pm hoping it wouldn't snow that far down. I was wrong the drizzle turned over to snow[unsure]. Only had 90 minutes to fish before I had to head back to pick up my son. That was long enough, the wind must have picked up to 30 mph gusts and it felt very cold. Caught about 6 between some browns, cutts and a whitie. Nothing big, 12-16 inch range. Someone else was just walking down the tracks to go fish as I was returning to the car. Crazy flyfisherman[crazy]. If whoever that was in that silver dodge truck reads this why don't you let us know who you did. I guess only 9 months left to summer.
[signature]
I was not the one in the silver truck but I fished that area (private property, with permission, up from that white bridge).
I got there about 6:30 am. Wind was blowing like crazy, but I had one of the best days on the weber for a long time. 16+ fish..Cutt's, Bows, Whites, and a few Browns. One brown was huge...loved it.
I fished mostly with a BHHE and a Crotch Cricket (red). Most everything was tanken on the Crotch Cricket. About an hour before I left I pulled out the ultra light rod and threw a few Blue Fox spinners and landed nothing but Cutts with them.
Weather sucked, but I did not care one bit....and neither did the fish.
I left the river and was home by 10:30am
[signature]
[black][size 3]Congrats on a great day on the Weber. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Is that Crotch Cricket tied with bright red wool body, with a small elk hair wing?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]How did you fish it?[/size]
[signature]
At 6:30 it was still quite warm out, I assume you got done before the cold and snow hit. Let me tell ya it made me miss summer big time. My hands actually warmed up every time I put them into the river. What's a crotch cricket? Never heard of that fly. Do you tie your own or purchase it somewhere?
[signature]
Yeah, when I started it was warmer than when I finished. I didn't think of taking my gloves this morning. My hands were pretty cold.

The Crotch Cricket is a nymph that James had when Hooked was still open. I have had a ton of success with them on multiple rivers. I don't have a photo of one, but it is similar to a Serendipity. It is tied with longer Elk Hair instead of the short white stuff. I nymph it behind a Bead Head Hares Ear....usually. Or something else as an attractor.
I am sure if you send a pm to "HFT", the mod on the fly board, he might have a good photo of one as well as the instructions for tying it.
I do tie a lot of my own flys.....but its all by sight..pictures..and feel. I look at a fly...then grab my stuff and duplicate it. Trying to put it into words for you and using the right terms wouldnt be easy. There was a time I could name everything and spout off hook sizes, etc. I've lost a lot of that...I do pretty much everything by sight.
[signature]
crotch cricket pic.
tie on size 14 2x long hook
red dmc floss twisted . I like deer hair for the wing because it is varagated in color more
[signature]
Thanks, James. As usual you are right on top of things here.
I'll have to tie a few of these and give them a try.
I have found flies like these to work best in the spring for me.
I mean red nymphs. What's your take on it?
[signature]
I really like red in late fall as snow is starting to fly. red serendipity,red brassies,red disco midge a red collar on Prince nymphs and hare's ears. in Spring Chartreuse is my color disco's, caddis larva etc.
[signature]
With all of the pretty girls that you used to have working for you, I thought you were a straight guy. What the heck is chartruese?
[signature]
It is all about color coordination sheesh! Cartreuse is yellow-green, bright.
[signature]